Solve Physical Chemistry Homework: ∆S, Td, ∆fCp - Tmax Stability

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation to find the temperature of maximum stability for a protein, with the given values of ∆H, ∆S, and ∆fCp. There are a few errors in the calculations, such as using the wrong sign for one term and using a slightly incorrect value for another. The conversation also mentions using a similar approach to find the cold denaturation temperature.
hazel06

Homework Statement

The question is attached.

Homework Equations

-∆fS (T - T0) - (∆fCp/T0)[(T - T0)2/2] = 0

Please let me know if this doesn't make any sense!

The Attempt at a Solution

Given:

Td: 39.3ºC = 312.45K
∆H: 157 kJ/mol = 152000 J/mol

I calculated ∆S = -∆H/Td -----> ∆S = -486.48 J/mol.K (Entropy)

Now, for the temperature of maximum stability. I know that I have ∆S, Td(T0), and ∆fCp. All is needed is to plug it into the equation I was given. But, I know I would need to derived it to make it more simpler to find T. Or at least that's what I think!

I derived it. And got: -∆fS-∆fCp(T)/T0+∆fCp

Not sure if I did it right! If someone could confirm I did it right or show me the correct way to derive it. That would be great! B/c I plugged the values in and did not get a value of around 260K. Which is given by the instructor to be the approximate answer.

Set up as: -(-486.48 J/mol.K) - (2800 J/mol.K)(T)/312.45K + 2800 J/mol.K = 0

Maybe I calculated it wrong b/c I keep on getting 312.62K. Which is exactly like the 312.45K. Very clueless!

After this could someone give me a hint on how to start finding the cold denaturation temperature? Thanks!

Attachments

• da4a5f37-47b2-4894-af61-98cabc18ea69.jpeg
    da4a5f37-47b2-4894-af61-98cabc18ea69.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It looks like you're on the right track with your derivation. However, there are a few things that you may want to double check.

Firstly, when you derived the equation, it should have been -∆fCp/T0 instead of +∆fCp. This is because the equation is set up so that the terms on the left side are all negative, while the terms on the right side are all positive.

Also, when you plugged in the values, you should have gotten 312.62K instead of 312.45K. This is because you plugged in 2800 J/mol.K for ∆fCp, but the given value is actually 2800 J/mol.K.K. So, when you divide by 312.45K, you get a slightly different value.

As for finding the cold denaturation temperature, you can use the same equation and plug in a different value for ∆H. Instead of using 157 kJ/mol, you can use a lower value to represent the energy needed for cold denaturation. Then, you can solve for T to find the corresponding temperature at which the protein is stable. Hope this helps!

What is entropy (∆S) in physical chemistry?

Entropy (∆S) is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In physical chemistry, it is often used to describe the change in energy of a system as it moves towards equilibrium.

What does Td stand for in physical chemistry?

Td stands for thermal decomposition. It is a process in which a substance breaks down into simpler substances, often due to exposure to high temperatures.

What is the standard heat capacity (∆fCp) in physical chemistry?

The standard heat capacity (∆fCp) is the amount of heat required to increase the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree Celsius under standard conditions (1 atm, 25°C).

What is the significance of Tmax in physical chemistry?

Tmax, also known as the maximum temperature, is an important parameter in physical chemistry as it represents the highest temperature at which a reaction or process can occur before reaching equilibrium.

What is stability in physical chemistry?

In physical chemistry, stability refers to the ability of a system to resist changes and maintain its current state. This can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and external influences.