Physical Chemistry Degree: Subjects Needed

In summary: Linear algebra, Hilbert spaces, abstract algebra/group theory, and partial differential equations are also important.
Bladibla
What subjects would you be required for doing a physical chemistry degree in university?

Im thinking of chemistry (obviously :yuck: ), and maths, and maybe physics. But anything else?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if you are talking about getting a Pchem degree as an undergraduate or a graduate student. There really is no "P chem" specific degree as an undergraduate, but if you want to set your self up to specialize in physical chem. as a grad student then you must take as many math courses as possible I would say. I think basic undergraduate mechanics and E&M should be all the physics background you would need. The rest of the physics needed will be taught to you in your P chem courses. The would be no need to take quantum mechanics as a phyiscs course and take the same thing again in a P chem course. The math, however is where most chem. students get stuck. Proper undergraduate preparation for P chem would be Calc 1-3 and an intro course to Diff. Eq. If you were going to specialize in P chem in grad. school I would say take as much math as possible. Calc 1-3, Real and Complex analysis, as much linear algebra as possible, Hilbert Spaces, some abstract algebra/group theory, partial differential eq. , the list can go on.

gravenewworld said:
I'm not sure if you are talking about getting a Pchem degree as an undergraduate or a graduate student. There really is no "P chem" specific degree as an undergraduate, but if you want to set your self up to specialize in physical chem. as a grad student then you must take as many math courses as possible I would say. I think basic undergraduate mechanics and E&M should be all the physics background you would need. The rest of the physics needed will be taught to you in your P chem courses. The would be no need to take quantum mechanics as a phyiscs course and take the same thing again in a P chem course. The math, however is where most chem. students get stuck. Proper undergraduate preparation for P chem would be Calc 1-3 and an intro course to Diff. Eq. If you were going to specialize in P chem in grad. school I would say take as much math as possible. Calc 1-3, Real and Complex analysis, as much linear algebra as possible, Hilbert Spaces, some abstract algebra/group theory, partial differential eq. , the list can go on.

So calculus courses are the core mathematics i need to do?
I wouldn't say I am good at it compared to other people in this forum, but it is my fave part of mathematics.. :D

Yes Calc 1-3 are a must as well as an introductory course on differential equations.

1. What is a physical chemistry degree?

A physical chemistry degree is an undergraduate or graduate-level degree that focuses on the study of chemical systems and processes from a physical perspective. It combines principles of chemistry and physics to investigate the fundamental properties and behavior of molecules and materials.

2. What subjects are needed to pursue a physical chemistry degree?

To pursue a physical chemistry degree, you will need a strong foundation in chemistry, mathematics, and physics. Some specific subjects that are typically required include calculus, analytical chemistry, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy.

3. Can I pursue a physical chemistry degree with a non-science background?

While a non-science background may make it more challenging to pursue a physical chemistry degree, it is still possible. Many universities offer introductory courses to help students build a foundation in chemistry, mathematics, and physics before diving into more advanced coursework.

4. What career opportunities are available with a physical chemistry degree?

A physical chemistry degree can open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, environmental science, and chemical engineering. Graduates can also work in research and development, quality control, or teaching and academia.

5. What skills can I develop through a physical chemistry degree?

A physical chemistry degree can help you develop a wide range of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and laboratory techniques. You will also gain a strong understanding of fundamental principles in chemistry and physics, which can be applied to various industries and research areas.