Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical interpretation of Feynman path integral

1. Nov 11, 2004 #1
    so I herd that atpms are actuall blob like particles insted of hard crystal orb like things but are quarks the same way? are quarks like blobs too?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

When atomic nuclei are probed with high energy electrons, the quarks seem like hard bodies ("partons") that bounce the electrons back elastically, but this is at least partly due to the relativistic relationship between the fast moving electrons and the slow moving quarks.

When calculated from the Standard Model, quarks are standard quantum field theory "particles", that is, concentrations of field strength, strong in the midddle and tailing off outside.

4. Nov 11, 2004 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you elaborate a little inorder to "visualize" (if possible) how this relativistic relationship produces elastic collisions.

Hope this isn't too off topic.

Thanks

Don

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  5. Nov 12, 2004 #4
    did quarks or any kind of particle ever have a beginning to it?

6. Nov 12, 2004 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I split off these last few posts from the main Feynmann path integrals discussion because they were OT for that subject.

As to an explanation of partons, I think http://www.pparc.ac.uk/frontiers/pdf/6F2.pdf gives a good account at the popular level.

7. Nov 13, 2004 #6
    Can i say what is the relation between this subject and Feynmann path integrals?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?