Physical interpretation of Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector

In summary, the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector ##W_{\mu}## is related to the generators of translations and rotations, ##P^{\mu}## and ##J^{\mu\nu}## respectively. It can be used to extract the four-momentum and spin angular momentum of a particle from their respective eigenstates. Its physical interpretation is given by its action on a momentum space eigenstate, where it produces the negative of the particle's spin angular momentum. To show that ##[J_{\mu\nu},W^{2}]=0##, it is necessary to define ##I## and show that ##W_{\rho}=[I,P_{\rho}]## and ##[J_{
spaghetti3451
##P^{\mu}## generates translations and extracts the four-momentum of a particle when it acts on the momentum eigenstate of a particle.

##J^{\mu\nu}## generates rotations and measures the spin angular momentum along the ##i##-direction of a particle when it acts on the ##i##-th direction spin angular momentum eigenstate of a particle.

The Pauli-Lubanski psuedo-vector is given by ##W_{\mu}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{\mu\sigma\rho\tau}J^{\sigma\rho}P^{\tau}## such that
##W_{\mu}|P,j,j_{z}\rangle = -mJ_{i}|P,j,j_{z}\rangle,## where ##|P,j,j_{z}\rangle## is a momentum space eigenstate representing a particle of spin ##j## at rest with ##P^{\mu}=(m,0,0,0)## and ##m\neq 0##.

What is the physical interpretation of ##W_{\mu}##?

To prove that ##[J_{\mu\nu},W^{2}]=0##, an explicit form of ##[J_{\mu\nu},W_{\rho}]## is necessary. One way to obtain ##[J_{\mu\nu},W_{\rho}]## is to define ##I=\frac{i} {8}\epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\delta}J^{\alpha\beta}J^{\gamma\delta}## and show that ##W_{\rho}=[I,P_{\rho}]## and ##[J_{\mu\nu},I]=0##.

What is an easy way to show that ##[J_{\mu\nu},I]=0## using the epsilon symbol in ##I##?

##I## is a scalar as all the indices are ##0##, so why can not say that ##[J_{\mu\nu},W^{2}]=0## trivially?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Pauli Lubanski vector is pretty intuitive, when you familiarize yourself with Wigner's analysis of the irreducible unitary representations of the orthochronous proper Poincare group, the space-time symmetry group of special relativity. It provides the infinitesimal generators of the socalled little group associated with the representation. For details, see Appendix B of my lecture notes on QFT,

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

What is the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that describes the rotational properties of a particle. It is used in the study of spin, a fundamental property of particles, and is a conserved quantity in relativistic systems.

How is the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector related to the spin of a particle?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector is directly proportional to the spin of a particle. In fact, the magnitude of the pseudo-vector is equal to the spin of the particle multiplied by the speed of light. This means that the pseudo-vector can be used to determine the spin of a particle.

What is the physical interpretation of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector?

The physical interpretation of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector is that it describes the amount of rotation a particle experiences as it moves through space. This rotation is a result of the particle's spin and its motion, and is a fundamental property of particles in quantum mechanics.

How is the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector used in particle physics?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector is used in particle physics to describe the properties of particles with spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. It is also used in the study of relativistic systems, such as high-energy particle collisions, where the spin of particles plays a crucial role in the interactions.

Can the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector be measured experimentally?

Yes, the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector can be measured experimentally using techniques such as scattering experiments and particle accelerators. By measuring the effects of the pseudo-vector on particles, scientists can gain a better understanding of the rotational properties of particles and their interactions.