1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical interpretation of the equation (time derivative of Spin angular momentum)

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]d\hat{S}/dt = γ\hat{S} \times \hat{B}[/itex]
    What is the physical interpretation of this equation i.e. what is the behavior of the magnetic moment in
    an uniform magnetic field?

2. Relevant equations

I dont think I need any equation for this, just intuition or vector calculus identity?

3. The attempt at a solution

The original question asked me to derive that equation by drawing analogy with classical system.
    I said [itex]d\hat{L}/dt =\tau= d\hat{S}/dt= γ\hat{S} \times \hat{B}[/itex]
    Thats fine, but i have hard time seeig what this means to magnetic moment (gamma S)

(plus do you guys know why it suddenly doesnt show up in latex mode?)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    Re: physical interpretation of the equation (time derivative of Spin angular momentum

Also, I know angular momentum L is not even close to being spin momentum S, but for some reason my TA said thats how you look at it. if anyone can justify this...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook