What is the physical interpretation of bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics?

• Thread starter sampo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary, the conversation discusses the physical meaning of bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics. It is described as an abstract notation for quantum states and can be projected onto different basis for different interpretations. The use of delta functions and their relationship with inner products is also mentioned, as well as the concept of Rigged Hilbert Spaces and its implications for probability in quantum mechanics. It is suggested to view delta functions as ordinary functions for simpler understanding.
sampo
Hi, I some basic questions on the physical meaning of bra-ket notation. I have looked at a lot of material, and I have seen descriptions of the algebraic properties of bra-kets, and I have seen hints at it having meaning regarding the probability of events happening/state changes, but I can't seem to find an exact depiction of this relationship. Hopefully this will be an easy one. If anyone could just let me know which, if any, of my statements are true, it would be most appreciated. Thanks, and feel free to elaborate.

Attachments

• BasicsQuestions.jpg
    BasicsQuestions.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,110
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a little book 'The Quantum World' by Polkinghorn. Perhaps you find it a good introduction.

A ket is an abtract notation for a quantum state. You can project it on a bra-basis to get (e.g.) a wave function in position or momentum space

[itex]\psi(x) = \langle x|\psi\rangle[/itex]

There are some spezial kets (special basis) with a physical interpretation; |x> is a position-eigenket, |p> is a momentum-eigenket, |E> is an energy-eigenket of a Hamiltonian H

For the wave functions you get

[itex]\psi_y(x) = \langle x|y \rangle = \delta(x-y)[/itex]

[itex]\psi_p(x) = \langle x|p \rangle = e^{ipx}[/itex]

i.e.a delta-function as a position-eigenfunction in position space and a plane-wave as a momentum-eigenfunction in position space, respectively.

Here is an analogy:

A vector v can be represented by its components in some coordinate basis.

e.g. v = ivx + jvy +kvz

Similarly a quantum state ψ can be represented by a ket |ψ> which can be expanded in terms of its components in some basis |k>.

i.e. |ψ> = Σ|k><k|ψ>

Okay, I did a little more research and found something, which I hope to be true. Lemme revise my earlier question according to the attached.

Attachments

• BasicsQuestions2.jpg
    BasicsQuestions2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 720
Regarding your questions about time:

No, there's isn't one Hilbert space for each value of t, or one inner product for each value of t. There's one Hilbert space that contains all the state vectors, and it's equipped with an inner product. I suggest that you think of it this way: Define [itex]\psi_t(\vec x)=\psi(\vec x,t)[/itex]. For each [itex]\vec x[/itex], [itex]\psi_t:\mathbb R^3\rightarrow\mathbb C[/itex] is a state vector. The function [itex]t\mapsto\psi_t[/itex] is a curve in the Hilbert space of state vectors. If we define [itex]\psi[/itex] such that each [itex]\psi_t[/itex] is normalized, it's actually a curve on the unit sphere in that Hilbert space. The Schrödinger equation tells you how to find that curve, given a single point on the curve.

There's a minor inaccuracy in what I just said. The "inner product" on the set of square-integrable functions is actually a "semi-inner product". See posts #4 and #6 here if you care about those details.

Okay, cool, this is great.

Attachments

• BasicsQuestions3.jpg
    BasicsQuestions3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 631
Oh, sorry I didn't mention it, but the pic on my last reply contains further questions if anyone can answer them. Especially the one at the end. Thanks.

Re: Reply #3 <x|y> and <x|p> are interpreted as inner products correct? Thus, I assume these can expanded in terms of integrals involving delta functions. <x|p> is easy to figure out but I don't understand how to get δ(x-y) for <x|y>.

nigelscott said:
Re: Reply #3 <x|y> and <x|p> are interpreted as inner products correct? Thus, I assume these can expanded in terms of integrals involving delta functions. <x|p> is easy to figure out but I don't understand how to get δ(x-y) for <x|y>.

You have hit upon something actually quite difficult here - the use of Delta Functions in QM. Basically they do not belong to a Hilbert Space but to something called a Rigged Hilbert Space and coming to grips with that is a whole other story - you need to be very adept at analysis and delve into tombs like Gelfand and Vilenkin - Generalized Functions - tough going even for guys like me into that sort of stuff - but it must be said not impossible if you persevere.

At the beginner level however its best to simply view Delta Functions as an ordinary function that for all practical purposes behave like a delta function - but really isnt. Under that view <x|y> = integral delta (x-x') delta (y-x') dx' = delta (x-y).

Basically the idea of a Rigged Hilbert Space is this. In a Hilbert space H bras and kets can be put into one to one correspondence ie its vectors and the linear functions defined on those vectors - called its dual -can be put in one to one correspondence. But if instead of a Hilbert space (which consists of all square integrable functions) you consider the space of all test functions (which is a subset of square integrable functions) then its dual T* (ie the space of all linear functions defined on that space) is much larger than H and includes stuff like the delta function. So what you have is T subset of H subset of T* - which is called a Gelfland Triple and the basis of Rigged Hilbert Spaces.

For a bit of an introduction to Rigged Hilbert Spaces check out (which also explains what a test function is if you do not know it):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_(mathematics )
http://www.abhidg.net/RHSclassreport.pdf

As to its physical meaning that is contained in a theorem you won't find mentioned that often in textbooks but IMHO is very fundamental - Gleason's Theorem which basically says Born's rule is the only way you can define probabilities on a Hilbert Space.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleason's_theorem

In fact from the assumption that QM is theory whose pure states are complex vectors all of QM basically follows. Check out:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0111068v1.pdf

Its slightly different to the way I mentioned (from Gleasons Theorem) but it gives you the gist.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your response. I had done a little research prior to my post and concluded that this was indeed a complicated issue. I think I will stick with the beginner view for my purposes, given that I am re-learning a lot of this stuff 25 years after leaving college! Thanks again.

What is the physical meaning of bra-kets?

The bra-ket notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a quantum system. It consists of a "bra" vector <𝜓| and a "ket" vector |𝜓>, which represent the initial and final states of a quantum system, respectively. The physical meaning of the bra-ket notation is that it allows us to calculate the expected value of a measurement for a given quantum state.

How is the bra-ket notation used in quantum mechanics?

The bra-ket notation is used to represent quantum states, operators, and observables in quantum mechanics. It allows us to calculate the expected value of a measurement by taking the inner product of the bra and ket vectors. It also simplifies complex mathematical equations and makes them more intuitive to understand.

What is the significance of the bra and ket vectors in the bra-ket notation?

The bra and ket vectors in the bra-ket notation represent the initial and final states of a quantum system. The bra vector <𝜓| represents the complex conjugate of the wavefunction, which describes the state of the system before a measurement is made. The ket vector |𝜓> represents the state of the system after the measurement is made.

How does the bra-ket notation relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. In the bra-ket notation, the position and momentum operators are represented by the position and momentum kets (|x> and |p>). The uncertainty principle can then be expressed as <𝜓|x><𝜓|p> ≥ ħ/2, where <𝜓|x> and <𝜓|p> are the inner products of the wavefunction with the position and momentum kets, respectively.

Can the bra-ket notation be used for systems other than quantum systems?

While the bra-ket notation was originally developed for quantum mechanics, it has since been adopted in other fields of physics and mathematics. It is used to represent vectors and linear transformations in Hilbert spaces, making it a useful tool in various areas such as quantum field theory, signal processing, and linear algebra.