Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Meaning

1. Jun 9, 2008 #1
    1.)CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHATS THE PHYSICAL SIGNIFICANCE AND MEANING OF PAULI MATRICES.FROM WHERE IT FOUND ITS ORIGINATION?

2.) MOREOVER WHY IS IT SAID THAT" SPIN HAS NO CLASSICAL ANALOGUE",IT IS NOT LIKE THE ANGULAR MOMENTUM OF ANY BODY SPINNING ON ITS AXIS?

3.)HOW WE CONCLUDE THAT ELECTRON'S SPIN IS +-1/2( PLEASE DONT RELATE ANSWER TO FERMIONS OR BOSONS)
    :confused:
    WITH REGARDS

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jun 9, 2008 #3
    Actually sir i read the mail few days ago in:"physical significance of pauli spin matrices".but its too lenghty and tedious to understand.
    Can u elaborate it in short,if being not disturbed.
    Anyway for third response i am extrmely sorry,i am not getting it correctly,in stern gerlach experiment we are just separating the electron beam with opposite spin by applying magnetic field.
    But sir i want to know from where we come to the result of numerical values 1/2 (or for fermions we are saying,it is half integral and for bosons we conclude integral spin)
    with regards

5. Jun 9, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the pauli matrices is just the spin operator for spin 1/2 particles in matrix representation. If you don't know what matrix representation of operators is, then perhaps google it a bit first.

I did the search for you regarding Q3: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/spin.html

The spin of particles are manifested through their respons on magnetic fields, if the spin of electron was 1, the we can have three direction (-1,0 and 1) and hence 3lines in the stern gerlash experiment.

6. Jun 9, 2008 #5
    I think I cannot get the better response to this question,thanks so much sir for clearing my confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?