1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical optics

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    i would like to ask a que regarding pysical optic,so lets nt beating abt the bush,
    QUE:A laser beam is incident on a 1.50 x 10^4 grove per inch diffraction grating.The wavelength of the light produced by the laser is 6.30nm and the interference pattern is observed on a screen 2.00m from the grating.Determine maximum number of fringes that can be observed?
    here goes the solution but im nt really clear of the solution:
    d sin teta = m X lamda
    sin teta=m.lamda.N/l <1
    m< l/2N ans is 2.69.
    tis is my que,why d=l/N wat does it represents for l/N ???then why do sin teta=m.lamda.N/l <1???why?is it because of polarized light is lesser than 1 while unpolarized light bigger than 1???thanks for your help!!!:smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

d is distance between two successive groves, and N is the number of groves per meter.
    And sin theta is always <1
  4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    oh..ya,thanks a lot,1 more doubt please,what does it mean with 1st order?is that mean a pair of fringe which involves bright and dark fringe?so as the same que as above i asked,so the m value is 2.69..so there are 5 fringes detected,m i wright?2 bright fringes and 2 dark fringes and 1 center max?please tell me if im wrong?!!!thanks...
  5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

When you observe the diffracted along the normal to the grating you see a bright spot. When you move on either side, at a certain angle, again you see bright spots. These are called the first order spots, because the satisfy the relation d*sin(theta) = lambda. If you move still further, again you can see bright spots, which satisfy the condition d*sin(theta) = 2*lambda. These are called second order spots. And so on.
  6. Dec 12, 2008 #5
    then what about dark spot?is it after at certain angle u observed u saw bright spot at the same time it has dark spot???i;m so sorry for troubling you..:blushing:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?