Calculating Angle of Wedge in Interference Setup

In summary, the question involves two identical rectangular pieces of glass with a thin strip of paper inserted between them, creating a wedge of air. The plates are illuminated with 670nm light and 15 interference fringes per 5cm of wedge appear. The goal is to calculate the angle of the wedge. The process involves solving for the horizontal distance using the formula 1/2 + 2d/(lambda) = m, where d is the separation between the plates and m is the number of interference fringes. The given value of L (5cm) can then be used to find the angle using trigonometry.
ephdub
Physical Optics: Interference & Diffraction

Here's my question:

Two identical rectangular pieces of glass are laid on top of one another on a plane surface. A thin strip of paper is inserted between them at one end, so that a wedge of air is formed. The plates are illuminated by perpendicularly incident light of wavelength 670nm, and 15 interference fringes per 5cm of wedge appear. (i.e. 15 maxima and 15 minima per 5cm of wedge.)
What is the angle of the wedge?

So.. I sort of have a clue on how to do this but help would be nice. :smile:
Since I'm calculating the angle of the wedge, I'm trying to setup my question for trig.. I picture it like this:
/|
/ | <-- H
/ Y |
----
^
horizon = L

Where Y is going to be my angle of the glass wedge. (the picture is not to scale of course and not as extreme as in my diagram in real life).

So to calculate my H, I was assuming that the 15th bright fringe occurs where the separation between the plates was a maximum.. so..

1/2 + 2d/(lamba) = m
solve for d and plug in values
where lambda = 6.7E-7m
m = 15
... churn out the numbers and d = 4.8575E-6 m

Here's where I'm stuck. The way that I set up my question is that I would need to solve for the horizontal (L - in my diagram) and use Trig to find the angle between the glass wedge. How can I do this? Am I on the right track or.. am I just doing something really stupid?

I'm fooling around with the 15 maxima per 5cm of wedge. I'm sure it has to do something with that.. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ephdub said:
Here's where I'm stuck. The way that I set up my question is that I would need to solve for the horizontal (L - in my diagram) and use Trig to find the angle between the glass wedge. How can I do this? Am I on the right track or.. am I just doing something really stupid?
L is given: it's 5 cm.

Your approach is on the right track. To calculate the angle of the wedge, we can use the following formula:

θ = tan^-1 (H/L)

Where H is the height of the wedge and L is the length of the wedge. We already have H calculated as 4.8575E-6 m, but we need to find the value of L. We know that there are 15 maxima and 15 minima per 5cm of wedge, which means there are 30 total fringes per 5cm. We can use this information to find the length of the wedge, L, in terms of the wavelength λ:

L = (30λ)/2 = 15λ

Now we can plug in our values for H and L to calculate the angle of the wedge:

θ = tan^-1 (4.8575E-6 m / 15λ)

Since we know that λ = 670nm, we can convert it to meters and calculate the angle:

θ = tan^-1 (4.8575E-6 m / 15 * 670E-9 m) = 0.0258 radians

Thus, the angle of the wedge is approximately 0.0258 radians, or about 1.48 degrees.

1. What is Physical Optics?

Physical Optics is a branch of optics that deals with the study of the properties and behavior of light, including its interactions with matter and the principles of wave optics.

2. What are the main principles of Physical Optics?

The main principles of Physical Optics include the wave-particle duality of light, the superposition of waves, interference and diffraction phenomena, and the propagation of light through different mediums.

3. How is Physical Optics different from Geometrical Optics?

Geometrical Optics focuses on the behavior of light as it travels in straight lines, while Physical Optics takes into account the wave-like nature of light and its interactions with matter.

4. What are some practical applications of Physical Optics?

Physical Optics has various practical applications, including the design of optical instruments such as microscopes and telescopes, the development of optical communication systems, and the study of optical materials for use in technologies such as solar panels and lasers.

5. How does Physical Optics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Physical Optics has played a crucial role in our understanding of the universe by providing insights into the behavior of light and its interactions with matter, leading to discoveries such as the wave nature of light and the phenomenon of diffraction. It also continues to contribute to ongoing research in fields such as astrophysics and quantum mechanics.