1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical pendulum formula

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    A rod suspended on its end and acting as a physical pendulum swings with a period of 1.74 s. What is its length? (g = 9.80 m/s2)

Ok so in order to solve this I need to use the physical pendulum formula:

T = 2Pi * sqrt (I / mgh) ==> I am looking for 'h'

To get 'h' I need to first calculate 'I' which requires mass for a rod.

[​IMG]

So, taking it from here I'm not sure where to begin. I've tried rearranging the formulas I've been given with no luck - any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

h is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the rod. You can express that in terms of the length of the rod and you can express I in terms of the length of the rod.

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    Ok let me try this:
    1.74=2Pi * sqrt ((1/12*mL^2) / (m*9.81*2L)
    => .27=sqrt((1/12L / 19.62))
    1/12L = 1.504
    L=~18m ??

This is wrong. I canceled out m and L in my early steps, did this throw my calculations off?

5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The stick is suspended from its end, not its middle.

6. Nov 14, 2006 #5
    1.74=2Pi * sqrt((1/3L^2) / (m(9.81)(2L)

*question: I haven't had algebra for a while, but you can just cancel the m's and cancel the L's, leaving only one 'L' in the numerator, correct?

If that assumption is correct I get L=4.51m - my book disagrees with this answer though; any idea why?

7. Nov 14, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks like you are setting h = 2L, which isn't right. As OlderDan explained, h is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the rod.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?