Physical pendulum: frequency of rotated square

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a square object made up of four identical thin sticks and its behavior as a physical pendulum when hung on a hook at its upper corner. The conversation goes on to derive the moment of inertia for the square object and its support using the parallel-axis theorem. The final result is used to calculate the frequency of the object's swinging motion.
emr13
1. A square object of mass m is constructed of four identical uniform thin sticks, each of length L, attached together. This object is hung on a hook at its upper corner. If it is rotated slightly and then released, at what frequency will it swing back and forth?
hooksquare.gif

Homework Equations

frequency of a physical pendulum:

Untitled1.png

parallel-axis theorem:

I=Icm+MD2

The Attempt at a Solution

Each thin stick has an I of (1/12)ML2. There are four of them, and the distance from the center of mass of each rod to the center of the square is L/2 so the I for the square (using parallel-axis theorem) is I=(4)((1/12)mL2)+m(L/2)2

Then plug it into the frequency equation...d here is from the axis of rotation to the center of mass, so L/sqrt(2)

Untitled2.png

Simplified a little:

Untitled3.png

Is this right at all? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the expression

[tex]f=\frac{1}{2 \pi}\sqrt{\frac{mgd}{I}}[/tex]

about what axis is I, the center of mass or the point of support?

I guess it should be the point of support...

That's what is. You need to recalculate. Since you already have the moment of inertia about the CM, all you need to do is apply the parallel axis theorem once more.

so Icm=(4)((1/12)mL2)+m(L/2)2

which simplifies to (7/12)mL2.

Then the "new" I would be

I=(7/12)mL2 + m(L/sqrt(2))2 ?

emr13 said:
so Icm=(4)((1/12)mL2)+m(L/2)2

which simplifies to (7/12)mL2.

Then the "new" I would be

I=(7/12)mL2 + m(L/sqrt(2))2 ?

Almost. Read the problem. If the square object has mass m what is the mass of one of the arms?

m/4...which m is that though? My first thought is that it's the first one in the "old" inertia equation...is that the only one I would need to switch? Because the others reflect the mass of the entire object, and I'm pretty sure they're correct.

emr13 said:
m/4...which m is that though? My first thought is that it's the first one in the "old" inertia equation...is that the only one I would need to switch? Because the others reflect the mass of the entire object, and I'm pretty sure they're correct.
Pretend that each arm has mass m,i.e. symbol "m" stands for the "mass of one side", then find the moment of inertia of the square about its CM correctly. (It is not (7/12)mL2)
Use the parallel axis theorem consistently (i.e. pretend that the square's mass is 4m) to find Isupport. Having done that, divide all occurrences of m by 4 to take into account the fact that each side does not have mass m but m/4.

It would be a bit simpler to derive the moment of inertia directly from its definition.

[tex]I = \int{\rho s^2 dl}[/tex]

where q is the density of the rods, and s is the distance of a small piece of length dl from the axis and the integration goes around the rectengular frame.

ehild

I am really confused now. I thought in the parallel axis theorem, m was supposed to be the entire mass of the object...I understand that each stick is m/4, but after that, you've lost me.

And my professor isn't big on calculus, so I don't think I'm supposed to integrate anything...

emr13 said:
I am really confused now. I thought in the parallel axis theorem, m was supposed to be the entire mass of the object...I understand that each stick is m/4, but after that, you've lost me.

And my professor isn't big on calculus, so I don't think I'm supposed to integrate anything...
Then follow my suggestion. It completes what you started, but correctly, so it should be easy for you to finish.

Okay, trying again:

Icm=4(1/12)(m/4)(L2)+(m/4)(L/2)2
Icm=(7/48)mL2

then

Isupport=(7/48)mL2+4m(L/sqrt(2))2
Isupport=(103/48)mL2

then divide m by 4 so

Isupport=(103/192)mL2

But that seems weird...so another way:

Icm=4(1/12)(m/4)(L2)+(4m)(L/2)2
Icm=(13/12)mL2

then

Isupport=(13/12)mL2+4m(L/sqrt(2))2
Isupport=(37/12)mL2

then divide m by 4 so

Isupport=(37/48)mL2

Are either of those correct?

emr13 said:
Okay, trying again:
Icm=4(1/12)(m/4)(L2)+(m/4)(L/2)2
Icm=(7/48)mL2
Where do you get the 7? It seems you think that (L/2)2=L2/2 instead of L2/4.

Where do you get the 7?

Icm=(4)(1/12)(m/4)(L2)+(m/4)(L/2)2
=(1/3)(m/4)(L2)+(m/4)(L2)(1/4)
=(1/12)mL2+(1/16)mL2
=(16/192)mL2+(12/192)mL2
=(28/192)mL2
=(7/48)mL2

emr13 said:
Icm=(4)(1/12)(m/4)(L2)+(m/4)(L/2)2
The factor of 4 must multiply both terms in the sum and it should be
ICM=(4)*[(1/12)(m/4)(L2)+(m/4)(L/2)2]
because there are 4 sides each of moment of inertia
(1/12)(m/4)(L2)+(m/4)(L/2)2

So I=(1/3)mL^2

Then Isupport is (partially simplified)

(1/3)mL^2 + 2mL^2
=(7/3)mL^2

Then if I divide that by 4, it's (7/12)mL^2...

emr13 said:
So I=(1/3)mL^2
That is correct.

Then Isupport is (partially simplified)
(1/3)mL^2 + 2mL^2
=(7/3)mL^2
I don't think so. Please show me exactly how you got this result.
Then if I divide that by 4, it's (7/12)mL^2...
Why would you do that? One more time, when you write

ICM=4*[(1/12)(m/4)(L2)+(m/4)(L/2)2],

the symbol "m" stands for the mass of the four sides combined. Each side has mass m/4, that's why m/4 appears in the above expression. The overall factor of 4 is there because you have four sides to the square. In other words,

ICM = 4*(Iof one side about the center of the square).

Last edited:
I don't know why I divided by four...thanks for being so patient with me.

The Isupport I did before is wrong (found a mistake in my work) so

Trying again:
Isupport= (1/3mL^2) + m(L/sqrt(2))^2
= 5/6mL^2

That looks about right.

Okay. and then I just plug that into the frequency equation:

Untitled8.png

I believe you are done.

Okay. Thank you so much for all your help!

I={(1/12)mL^2}+{m(L^2)/4}=(mL^2)/3
then you should multiply it by 4 so:

I=(4/3)*(mL^2) this is for the center of mass of the square and for the support you should just add 4m{(L/2)sqrt(2)}^2

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a type of pendulum where the mass is not concentrated at a single point, but rather distributed throughout a body. This results in a more complex motion compared to a simple pendulum, which has a concentrated mass at one point.

2. How is the frequency of a rotated square physical pendulum calculated?

The frequency of a rotated square physical pendulum is calculated using the formula f = (1/2π)√(mgd/I), where m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance from the point of rotation to the center of mass, and I is the moment of inertia of the pendulum.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a rotated square physical pendulum?

The frequency of a rotated square physical pendulum is affected by the mass, length, and distribution of the mass in the pendulum, as well as the acceleration due to gravity. The frequency also depends on the angle of rotation and the amplitude of the pendulum's oscillations.

4. How does the frequency of a rotated square physical pendulum differ from a simple pendulum?

The frequency of a rotated square physical pendulum is affected by the distribution of the mass and the angle of rotation, whereas the frequency of a simple pendulum is only affected by the length of the pendulum. Additionally, the motion of a rotated square physical pendulum is more complex, with multiple periods of oscillation, compared to the simple harmonic motion of a simple pendulum.

5. What are some real-world applications of the frequency of a rotated square physical pendulum?

The frequency of a rotated square physical pendulum can be used in engineering and design to determine the stability and natural frequency of structures such as bridges and buildings. It is also used in the study of mechanics and physics to understand the motion of complex systems. Additionally, it has applications in seismology for measuring the frequency of seismic waves.