1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical pendulum oscillation

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A physical pendulum consists of a meter stick that is pivoted at a small hole drilled through the stick a distance d from the 50 cm mark. The period of oscillation is 2.5 s. Find d

2. Relevant equations
    T=2PI*sqrt(I/mgh)
    I(com)=(1/2)mL^2
    parallel axis theorem
    I=I(com)+m(L/2-d)^2
    L=length of stick
    h=L/2=center of mass

3. The attempt at a solution
    so T=2.5 s
    center of mass = .50 m
    I=(1/2)mL^2 + m*(L/2-d)^2
    then plug T, I, and h in for the equation
    T=2PI*sqrt(I/mgh)
    2.5 s=2PI*sqrt((3L^2/4-2Ld+d^2)/(gL/2))
    however when I solve for d I do not get 5.6 cm..anyone see my mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2
    I just spent another 30 minutes working on the problem...and no luck :(

4. Feb 4, 2008 #3

mezarashi

Homework Helper

I think your original 'relevant equations' are wrong.
    The moment of inertia of a stick through its center of mass of total length L is: (mL^2)/12
    Combining this with the parallel axis theorem, you should get through the point d cm from its center of mass:

I = (mL^2)/12 + md^2

Note that h in the period equation is actually d. It represents the distance from the center of mass. So if you actually swing it through the center of mass, guess what? It swings forever and if you divide by h approaching 0, the answer is a period approaching infinity.

Hope that helps.

5. Feb 4, 2008 #4
    ah! that helps a lot. Thank you so much. When I changed it to (1/12)mL^2 and used d instead it worked out great. I was forgetting about where it was rotating. Once again, thanks so much!

6. Feb 5, 2008 #5

mezarashi

Homework Helper

You're welcome ^_^

7. Feb 5, 2008 #6
    Ya u got it, but in case u wonder how 2 get the equation for the period, here is my quick derivation:

[tex]\Sigma\tau=I*\ddot{\theta}=r\timesF=[/tex]
    [tex]-d*m*g*sin(\theta)=-d*m*g*\theta[/tex] we can approximate sin(theta) ~ theta for small theta

=>[tex] -d*m*g*\theta - I*\ddot{\theta} = 0 [/tex]

Solving Differential Equations

w = sqrt(d*m*g / I)

T = 2*pi/lamba =2*pi*sqrt(I / d*m*g)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?