Physical pendulum wrench oscillations

Therefore, in summary, the moment of inertia of the wrench is 0.0767 kgm2 and the angular speed of the wrench as it passes through the equilibrium position is 5.07 rad/s.
squintyeyes
Question Details:
A 1.44 kg monkey wrench is pivoted at one end and allowed to swing as a physical pendulum. The period of its motion is 0.860 s, and the pivot is 0.290 m from the center of mass of the wrench.

(a) What is the moment of inertia of the wrench?
0.0767 kgm2

If the wrench is initially pulled back to an angle of 0.600 rad from the equilibrium position, (b) what is the angular speed of the wrench as it passes through the equilibrium position?
_______ rad/s

Attempt
x(0)=0.6 = θsin(√(mgd/I)t)+φ
0.6 = θsin(√((mgd/I)(0))+φ)
0.6 = θsin(φ)
0.6/sin(φ) = θ

v(0) = 0 = θ(√(mgd/I))cos(√(mgd/I)t) +φ)
0 = θ(√(mgd/I))cos(√(mgd/I)(0)) +φ)
0 = θ(√(mgd/I))cos(φ)
0 =0.6/sin(φ)(√(mgd/I))cos(φ)

I am stuck here. Did i do something wrong? If i try to solve for φ I can not get a number.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the correct way to solve for angular speed? Thanks in advance. AnswerBy using the conservation of energy, the angular speed at the equilibrium position can be calculated as follows:KE = PE 1/2Iω2 = mgh ω = √(2gh/I) Substituting the given values: ω = √[(2 x 9.81 x 0.290) / 0.0767] ω = 5.07 rad/s

1. What is a physical pendulum wrench oscillation?

A physical pendulum wrench oscillation is a type of periodic motion where a rigid object, such as a wrench, is suspended from a fixed point and allowed to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity.

2. How is the period of a physical pendulum wrench oscillation calculated?

The period of a physical pendulum wrench oscillation can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the object, m is its mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance between the pivot point and the object's center of mass.

3. What factors affect the period of a physical pendulum wrench oscillation?

The period of a physical pendulum wrench oscillation is affected by the length of the pendulum arm, the mass of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also influenced by the angle at which the pendulum is released and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How does the period of a physical pendulum wrench oscillation change with different pivot points?

The period of a physical pendulum wrench oscillation will change with different pivot points. Generally, the period will decrease as the pivot point moves closer to the object's center of mass, and increase as the pivot point moves further away. This is because the moment of inertia and distance from the pivot point both play a role in the calculation of the period.

5. Can a physical pendulum wrench oscillation exhibit simple harmonic motion?

Yes, a physical pendulum wrench oscillation can exhibit simple harmonic motion under certain conditions. This occurs when the object's motion is sinusoidal and can be described by the equation x = A cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This type of motion occurs when the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.