Mysterious Physical Phenomenon: Balancing a Badminton Racket in Water

In summary, the speaker describes a physical phenomenon they encountered while playing badminton in a pool. They lost their racket in the water, and to their surprise, it stood straight up on the bottom of the pool, balanced on the head rather than the handle. The speaker wonders why this is possible, considering the handle is heavier than the head. The answer lies in density, as the handle may be heavier, but it is also thicker and less dense, causing it to float while the rest of the racket sinks. This phenomenon would not occur on land.
matsorz
Hello. Today I came across a physical phenomenon ..
I played badminton in France, at the swimming pool. So I lost my paddle in the pool. (A badminton racket looks like a tennis racket)

In the water, no matter how I throw the racket down, balancing it on the head in the bottom of the pool, not the handle, but on the head by strings. It stands straight up.

How can this be? The handle is heavier than the head of the racket, but why it does not float, and how it manages to balance perfectly on the bottom of the pool? It would never made it on land ...

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not truly weight that matters, but density. The handle may be heavier than the rest of the racket, but it is also much thicker. It takes up much more space. So, overall, it is less dense. Therefore, the buoyant force on the handle is greater, making it want to float, while the rest of the racket is dense enough to want to sink.

Thanks, getting a grip to it now!

What is the "Mysterious Physical Phenomenon: Balancing a Badminton Racket in Water"?

The "Mysterious Physical Phenomenon: Balancing a Badminton Racket in Water" refers to the ability to balance a badminton racket, or any other object, on its edge in a container of water without it tipping over.

How is it possible for a badminton racket to balance in water?

The phenomenon is due to the principles of buoyancy and center of mass. The weight of the racket is evenly distributed along its edge, allowing it to balance on the surface tension of the water. The center of mass of the racket is also lower than its pivot point, making it stable and less likely to tip over.

Does the size or shape of the racket affect its ability to balance in water?

Yes, the size and shape of the racket can affect its ability to balance in water. Rackets with a larger surface area or a wider edge tend to be easier to balance. Rackets with a curved edge also have a lower center of mass, making them more stable in water.

Can any object balance in water like a badminton racket?

No, not all objects can balance in water like a badminton racket. The object must have a low center of mass and an evenly distributed weight along its edge in order to balance on the surface tension of water. Objects with a high center of mass or uneven weight distribution will not be able to balance in water.

Are there any real-world applications for this phenomenon?

Yes, this phenomenon has been studied in the field of physics and has practical applications in engineering. It can be used to design stable structures such as bridges and buildings, as well as improve the stability of objects in water, such as boats and ships. It also has potential applications in microfluidic devices and other industries that involve liquid interfaces.