Balancing Chemical Equations: How to Calculate Unknown Products

Whenever you have more atoms of a certain element on one side of the equation than the other, you need to balance the equation to make sure the mole ratios are correct for the reaction. In summary, the problem involves a reaction between methane and oxygen to form carbon dioxide and water. To find the amount of water formed, you need to balance the equation and use the given masses of the reactants and products to solve for the unknown. This follows the law of conservation of mass.
ckbppb
I need help, please!:eek: :bugeye: I am totally and completely lost with this problem. Unfortunately, my book does not give any examples for me to go by.

Here is the problem...

In the following reaction, 24 g of CH4 (methane) react completely with 96 g of O2 to form 66 g of CO2. How many grams of H20 are formed?

CH4 + CO2---->CO2 + 2H2O

Where do I begin on this problem? TIA for any help provided.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the methane react with CO2 or O2?

(Sorry, I edited instead of quoted ~ Moonbear :redface:)

Last edited by a moderator:
1) You'll need to start out finding the molecular weights of each molecule in your reaction.
2) Then use that information to find the number of moles of starting and ending product.
Hopefully, you'll be able to see from there how you can use your given information to solve for your unknown. If not, come back with your answers to 1 and 2 and we'll help you get to step 3.

Mozart said:
Does the methane react with CO2 or O2?
It has to be O2.

Would you have to balance the equation first Moonbear? I ask because as it is written there are more oxygen atoms on the products side.

Yeah, you would have to balance out the atoms. The mole ratios need to be correct for the stoichiometry.

WOW! Thanks for all the friendly postings. I really appreciate it. However, this is simple Physical Science 8th grade style. We haven't gotten into the complicated stuff quite yet. At any rate, I ended up figuring it out for myself. To my surprise, my science teacher said I did everything correctly. Here is what I came up with, just in case there are other posters working on the same type of problem.

Here are the knowns:
mass of CH4= 24g
mass of O2= 96g
mass of CO2= 66g
mass of reactants=mass of products

CH4 + 2O2---->CO2 + 2H2O
24 g + 96 g ---->66 g + ?
120 g – 66 g = 54 g
24 g + 96 g ---->66 g + 54 g
H20= 54 g

Also, this follows the law of conservation of mass, meaning the mass of all substances that are present before a chemical change equal the mass of all the substances that remain after the change.

Mozart said:
Would you have to balance the equation first Moonbear? I ask because as it is written there are more oxygen atoms on the products side.
Looks like he already got the answer, but just to wrap things up...in answer to your question, yes.

1. What is physical science?

Physical science is the study of non-living systems and phenomena, including physics, chemistry, geology, and astronomy.

2. What are physical science calculations?

Physical science calculations involve using mathematical equations and principles to analyze and solve problems related to the physical world.

3. What are some common units used in physical science calculations?

Common units used in physical science calculations include meters (m) for distance, kilograms (kg) for mass, and seconds (s) for time. Other units may be used depending on the specific calculation and discipline.

4. How can I improve my skills in physical science calculations?

Practicing regularly and understanding the fundamental concepts and equations involved in physical science calculations can help improve skills. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

5. What are some real-world applications of physical science calculations?

Physical science calculations are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing buildings, predicting weather patterns, and developing new technologies. They are also essential in fields like engineering, medicine, and environmental science.