[Physical Science] Finding Density, Mass, or Volume

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving the mass of plastic shreds inside a 55-liter drum. The first number in the problem is 55,000 cm^3, which is equivalent to 55 liters. However, the density of the plastic is needed to solve the problem and it is not given. The conversation also mentions that different types of plastic have different densities and the given answer to another part of the problem is 0.96 g/cm^3.
Jessi
Could someone work this problem for me and explain what they did? It's the only one on the worksheet I don't understand...

"b. A truckload of 2-liter soda bottles was finely shredded at a recycling center. The plastic shreds were placed into 55-liter drums. What is the mass of the plastic shreds inside one of the drums?"

I know that the first number in the problem is going to be 55,000 cm^3, because 55 liters = 55,000 milliliters, which is the equivalent of cm^3. I just don't know what the second number would be.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the density of plastic...?55liters=55000cm^{3},not milliliters...

Daniel.

In order to do that, you have to know the density of the plastic. Isn't that given in the problem? Different kinds of plastics have different densities.

dextercioby said:
What's the density of plastic...?55liters=55000cm^{3},not milliliters...

Daniel.

That's basically what I said in my post, yes... ;) I didn't plan on writing out the problem with milliliters. Thank you for pointing that out in case I didn't realize it, though! Usually I'm the first to make simple mistakes like that.

But yes, I'm sorry! I believe it's referring to the answer to A, which is 0.96 g/cm^3.

Last edited:

1) How do I find the density of an object?

To find the density of an object, you need to know its mass and volume. The formula for density is: density = mass / volume. So, you will need to measure the mass of the object using a scale and measure the volume using a ruler or by displacement. Once you have both values, divide the mass by the volume to find the density.

2) What units are used to measure density?

Density is typically measured in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) in the metric system, or grams per milliliter (g/mL) for liquids. In the imperial system, density is measured in pounds per cubic inch (lbs/in3) or pounds per gallon (lbs/gal). It is important to use consistent units when calculating density.

3) How can I find the mass of an irregularly shaped object?

To find the mass of an irregularly shaped object, you can use a scale and a container filled with water. First, measure the volume of the container by filling it with a known amount of water and recording the change in volume. Then, place the object in the container and measure the new volume. The difference in volume will be the volume of the object. Lastly, weigh the object and subtract the weight of the container to find the mass of the object.

4) Can I use the density of a substance to identify it?

Yes, density is a physical property of a substance and can be used to identify it. Each substance has a unique density value, so by measuring the density of an unknown substance and comparing it to a list of known densities, you can determine what substance it is.

5) How is density related to buoyancy?

Density is directly related to buoyancy. A substance with a higher density than a fluid (such as water) will sink in that fluid, while a substance with a lower density will float. This is why objects made of different materials have different buoyancy in water.