1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Physical Science] Finding Density, Mass, or Volume

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    Could someone work this problem for me and explain what they did? It's the only one on the worksheet I don't understand...

"b. A truckload of 2-liter soda bottles was finely shredded at a recycling center. The plastic shreds were placed into 55-liter drums. What is the mass of the plastic shreds inside one of the drums?"

I know that the first number in the problem is going to be 55,000 cm^3, because 55 liters = 55,000 milliliters, which is the equivalent of cm^3. I just don't know what the second number would be.

Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the density of plastic...?55liters=55000cm^{3},not milliliters...

4. Mar 6, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In order to do that, you have to know the density of the plastic. Isn't that given in the problem? Different kinds of plastics have different densities.
  5. Mar 6, 2005 #4
    That's basically what I said in my post, yes... ;) I didn't plan on writing out the problem with milliliters. Thank you for pointing that out in case I didn't realize it, though! Usually I'm the first to make simple mistakes like that.

But yes, I'm sorry! I believe it's referring to the answer to A, which is 0.96 g/cm^3.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?