How Do You Calculate Car Weight and Required Motor Force?

In summary, the conversation involved finding the weight and force needed to accelerate a car. The car had a mass of 1200 kg, which was used to calculate its weight at 11760 N. To find the force needed for acceleration, the formula F = ma was used, resulting in a force of 4800 N. The conversation also clarified the units of force and the difference between weight and force.
Jessi
I was just hoping someone could check the work I did on this two part problem? :)

18a. A car has a mass of 1200 kg. What's the weight of the car?

Answer: 1200 kg*9.8 m/s^2 = 11760 N.

b. Disregarding friction, what force must the car motor apply to accelerate the car along a level highway at the rate of 4.0 m/s^2?

Answer: 11760 N/4.0 m/s^2 = 2940 kg.

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jessi said:
18a. A car has a mass of 1200 kg. What's the weight of the car?

Answer: 1200 kg*9.8 m/s^2 = 11760 N.
Right!

b. Disregarding friction, what force must the car motor apply to accelerate the car along a level highway at the rate of 4.0 m/s^2?

Answer: 11760 N/4.0 m/s^2 = 2940 kg.
No. You need to use F = ma. (Note that force must have the units of force, which is N. Mass (measured in kg) is not a force.)

Oh, okay! :) Thank you for helping me.

So is it 11760 N*4.0 m/s^2 = 47040? I don't understand what the unit is, though - I thought I'd already used N in the problem, so it had to be mass. Does that not matter?

Jessi said:
So is it 11760 N*4.0 m/s^2 = 47040?
No! This problem has nothing to do with the weight of the car.

Use F = ma, which means:
Force needed to accelerate car = (mass of car) x (acceleration).

The answer will be in N, the unit of force.

Alrighty!

1200 kg (mass of car)*4.0 m/s^2 (acceleration) = 4800 N?

*hopeful*

Yes, that's right.

Wonderful! Thanks, both of you.

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can be defined as a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change direction.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in nature: gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other types of forces include frictional force, tension force, and normal force.

3. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units of Newtons (N). One Newton is equivalent to the force needed to accelerate a mass of one kilogram by one meter per second squared (1 kg x 1 m/s²).

4. What is Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They state that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force, the force applied to an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration, and for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. How does force affect motion?

Force is directly related to an object's acceleration. If a greater force is applied to an object, it will accelerate more. If no force is applied, an object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed.