Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Physical therapy and bandages

1. Jun 18, 2014 #1
    I have a sprained ankle. On my first visit to the therapist, he stuck a bandage on my ankle, such that it went 270deg around.

Issues:

1. No mention of how I am supposed to shower. Do I take care to leave the bandage or do I let it peel off? I take a shower everyday, and there is no way the adhesive can remain intake.

2. Why not go all around the ankle? Bandages that go all around a limb and adhere to themselves are actually difficult to remove.

I am going to ask the therapist on my next visit. At this point, I feel like I'm going to embarrass him. For his sake, I hope I'm missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Just call their office to ask about the shower question today. I'm sure a nurse or somebody there can give you the answer. I'm guessing the answer will be "don't get it wet", but you should call them to be sure.

I doubt you will embarass the therapist. You may even learn something new... :smile:

4. Jun 18, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

As far as showering is concerned, you can purchase what is known as a 'cast cover'. These covers are available so that you can slip them on over an arm or a leg and take a shower without getting a cast or other bandage wet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leg-Cast-Pr...=100009&prg=10050&rk=4&rkt=10&sd=110835573102

These covers can usually be purchased locally from a medical supply house or well stocked pharmacy. The cover has a soft rubber top part thru which you insert your leg before showering. I use such a cover which fits up over my knee to protect the bandages I have on my leg.

Bell-Horn is one such manufacturer but they have a horrible web site. Google "cast protectors" to get pictures and a better idea of what is available.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted