Physical units problem for a DC Motor with viscous friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of expressing a viscous friction coefficient in terms of N*m*s/rad and clarifies that 1 s/rad is equivalent to 1 s. The conversation also touches on the concept of rotational dimension and its connection to radians.
IzitoI
Homework Statement
30*10^-6 N*m*s
Relevant Equations
x N*m*s/rad
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to derive DC motor differential equations. I have some doubts:

I have a viscous friction coefficient in terms of N*m*s. Is it possible to express it in terms of N*m*s/rad? And how?

Some exercises show this value in Newton-meter-second and others in Newton-meter-second/rad so I'm a little bit confused.

Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
A rad is not really a unit but a dimensionless quantity. It is used to express the measure of an angle as the ratio of the length of an arc ##s## on a circle of radius ##r##, that is ##\theta = s/r##. The angular frequency ##\omega## is given by ##\omega=\frac{d\theta}{dt}## and you see it expressed sometimes as rad/s and sometimes as s-1. To answer your question, 1 s/rad = 1 s.; there is no conversion factor.

Likes IzitoI and Dr.D
kuruman said:
A rad is not really a unit but a dimensionless quantity. It is used to express the measure of an angle as the ratio of the length of an arc ##s## on a circle of radius ##r##, that is ##\theta = s/r##. The angular frequency ##\omega## is given by ##\omega=\frac{d\theta}{dt}## and you see it expressed sometimes as rad/s and sometimes as s-1. To answer your question, 1 s/rad = 1 s.; there is no conversion factor.
I thought was like that but I wasn't sure. Thank you so much 😉

Likes berkeman
IzitoI said:
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to derive DC motor differential equations. I have some doubts:

I have a viscous friction coefficient in terms of N*m*s. Is it possible to express it in terms of N*m*s/rad? And how?

Some exercises show this value in Newton-meter-second and others in Newton-meter-second/rad so I'm a little bit confused.

Thank you :smile:
There seems to be something wrong with one of your units.
For viscous friction coefficient, you can have Ns/m for linear or Nms/rad for rotational.
See e.g. https://lpsa.swarthmore.edu/Systems/MechRotating/RotMechSysElem.html
There is no Nms.

More generally, there have been many attempts to ascribe dimension to rotation, and it can be done, but it turns out to be "imaginary" in the sense that although radian has this new dimension radian2 is dimensionless.

1. What are physical units?

Physical units are standardized measurements used to describe the physical properties of a system or object. These units can include length, mass, time, temperature, and more.

2. How do physical units affect a DC motor with viscous friction?

Physical units play a critical role in understanding and analyzing the performance of a DC motor with viscous friction. These units are used to measure important variables such as torque, speed, and power, which are essential in determining the efficiency and effectiveness of the motor.

3. What is the relation between physical units and the operation of a DC motor with viscous friction?

The physical units used to describe a DC motor with viscous friction directly impact its operation. For example, the unit of torque, which is measured in Newton-meters (Nm), determines the amount of force that the motor can produce, while the unit of speed, measured in revolutions per minute (rpm), determines the motor's rotational speed.

4. How do you convert between physical units for a DC motor with viscous friction?

To convert between physical units for a DC motor with viscous friction, you can use conversion formulas specific to each unit. For example, to convert between Newton-meters and foot-pounds, you can use the formula: 1 Nm = 0.737562 ft-lb. It is important to use accurate conversion factors to ensure precise calculations.

5. Why is it important to understand physical units when working with a DC motor with viscous friction?

Understanding physical units is crucial when working with a DC motor with viscous friction because it allows for accurate analysis and prediction of the motor's performance. By using the correct units and conversion factors, scientists can make informed decisions on how to optimize the motor's efficiency and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.