Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical variables wanted !

1. Dec 1, 2007 #1
    dear all,

pls inform me the Young's modulus (in Pa) and Poisson's ration for sand. Pleae also inform the density of sand taken (as it affects the requested values).

many thanks in advance
    kind regards,

rana

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I honestly do not see how you can have a Young's Modulus or Poisson's Ratio for a grain. The material not continuous.

Density would have to be specified with a specific moisture content as well.

What leads you to ask this question? Are you trying to calculate something?

4. Dec 1, 2007 #3
    sir,

yes, i am trying to calculate erosion caused by sand grain.

there are may literature data available for various tyoes of sand, and so i am confused.
    i am using sand blown by air (maybe dry quicksand or something) at high velocities..

hope to get the values..a reference to online literature would also be helpful.

thank you.

5. Jan 14, 2008 #4
    energy of impact

dear all,

i would like to calculate the energy loss of a spherical particle after it hits the wall.
    i know the pre- and post-impact velocties and the coefficients of restitution.

simple E = E1 = 1/2*m*u^2 is not enough.

can someone point me any exact references.

thanks in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?