• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Physicist but not a professor

• Thread starter lazer
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have just completed my freshmen year. I want to do major in physics. I am really confused should I go with general physics or focus in some particular branch of it for a good career?
I do not want to be a professor doing major in physics but want to do some research and also earn good with my degree. I am interested in astrophysics. i am confused which one is better career option astrophysics or aeronautic engineering?

Answers and Replies

What about astrophysics interests you? If you're keen on plotting trajectories of spacecraft/asteroids/planets, then I'm sure an aerospace engineering degree focused on celestial mechanics would be very beneficial to you. If you want to model star formation, aerospace engineering isn't what you're wanting.

eri
There aren't a lot of jobs in astrophysics, and it doesn't have a lot of applications - so most of the jobs are at colleges and universities. If you want to avoid that, you won't be left with a ton of options. And it doesn't pay nearly as well as some of the other, more practical fields of physics that you can use to get an industry job - like optics, condensed matter, medical physics, biophysics, materials science, and more.