PHYSICIST(medical) in NEW ZEALAND`

• Thread starter kaderpitchai
  • Start date
In summary, R.Kader Pitchai is considering a PG-Dip in Medical Physics in New Zealand or the UK. He is unsure about the job market, cost of living, and potential for permanent residency in both countries. He is seeking advice on which option would be best for his future career goals.
kaderpitchai
hi there,
I am sorry to disturb you guys..my name is R.Kader Pitchai from India.recently i got offer for pg-dip in medical physics in university of canterbury (new zealand)..i am new to this medical physics field..already my qualifications are m.sc in physics.since i want to migrate to a fascinating field such as medical physics field.so i decided to apply for it in new Zealand and in uk..i got offer from both new zealand and uk(m.sc(medical electronics and physics) from queen mary and m.sc(medical physics) from university of surrey)but i think more of new Zealand.can i enter new zealand and get settled through this pg-dip in medical physics.whether this is a huge risk or i can jump into it without underestimating it.but i am concerned with job future, country, salary and immediate placement in training after studies..help me in this crucial decision.. i am little bit confused between UK and New Zealand..because i am taking a huge risk by spending all my money for this..any way i want to settle in this field and uplift my family..so there should not be any risk in this decision..can i enroll as a medical registrar after pg-dip..recently i came to know that either i should be citizen or permanent resident of NZ TO enroll for training.for me whether it is possible to get PR after pg-dip..or without training can i get any job..i am sorry..i am asking too much of doubts because i don't know much about this field..please guide me..so that confidently i will jump into pg-dip medical physics.please help me.
expecting your valuable advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.It is difficult to answer this question as there are a number of factors that would influence your decision. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which option is best for you. You should consider the cost of tuition, living expenses in New Zealand and the UK, the job market in each country, the types of jobs available and the level of competition for those jobs. Additionally, you should research the process for obtaining permanent residency in both countries, if that is something you are interested in. Ultimately, you should make your decision based on what is best for you and your long-term career goals.

1. What is a medical physicist and what do they do?

A medical physicist is a specialized scientist who applies the principles of physics to the field of medicine. They work closely with healthcare professionals to ensure the safe and effective use of radiation and other forms of energy in medical procedures such as imaging and radiation therapy.

2. What education and training is required to become a medical physicist in New Zealand?

In order to become a medical physicist in New Zealand, one must have a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a postgraduate degree in medical physics. This is typically a two-year program that includes both coursework and hands-on clinical training.

3. What are the job prospects for medical physicists in New Zealand?

The job prospects for medical physicists in New Zealand are currently very good. Due to an aging population and advancements in technology, there is a growing demand for qualified medical physicists in the country. Additionally, the field offers a wide range of career opportunities in both the public and private sector.

4. Are there any special licensing or certification requirements for medical physicists in New Zealand?

Yes, in order to practice as a medical physicist in New Zealand, one must be registered with the Medical Sciences Council of New Zealand. This involves meeting certain education and training requirements, as well as passing a registration exam.

5. What are the main challenges faced by medical physicists in New Zealand?

One of the main challenges faced by medical physicists in New Zealand is keeping up with rapidly evolving technology and techniques in the field. This requires staying current with research and continuing education opportunities. Additionally, as in any healthcare profession, there may be challenges related to workload and maintaining a work-life balance.