1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physicists agree?

1. Jul 31, 2007 #1
    "Introduction to vector analysis" (Harry F. Davis, 1961) page 284 says:

"Tensor analysis for physicists by J.A.Schouten 1951" is not intended so much for physicists as for applied mathematicians. This author knows of no book on tensor analysis written in a modern style for pure mathematicians."

I am reading Davis's book at the moment (its vector part is very good), which only talks about tenosr in about two pages. Why did Davis criticize Schouten (a famous physicist? but I did not read his book) so seriously?

GG

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Schouten was a mathematician who was interested in physics... but I don't think he is considered a physicist.

I know of Schouten (and have read his Tensor Analysis for Physicists and parts of his Ricci Calculus and some of his papers)... but not of Davis... although I'm sure I have seen the Davis book in passing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?