1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physicists and Applications

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1
    "I just formulated Bernoulli's principle! What are some applications?"

Do physicists ask/answer these kind of questions? Moreover, are physicists paid to answer these kind of questions or am I thinking too much like an engineer?

I'm thinking along the lines on John Bardeen et al. with their work on the transister, but other there many more examples?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2006 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Generally, scientists working in applied physics will have some sort of practical goal in mind (Usually dictated by their funding source). If a particular theory looks like in may aid them in acheiving that goal, then it would be used, rather than looking at an equation and thinking 'How can we make a device using this?'.

This is my personal experience in the field of lasers and applications, I hesitate to make sweeping generalisations because it is likely other fields are quite different.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?