PhD in Theoretical Solid State Physics: Industry vs. Academia

In summary, the conversation consists of physicists discussing their education and careers, including degrees in physics, working in various fields such as medical physics, research, and teaching, and the use of photocathodes in electron accelerators.
Originally posted by chroot
Actually, I have no physics degrees, and am quite a long way from getting one at this point. :frown:

- Warren

Wow Warren - you surprise me. You might not have the degree but your knowledge is very impressive indeed.

:smile:

I studied Mechanical Engineering for a year and hated it, so left, then went back after a year out and did a BSc in Materials Science. Nearly all my knowledge of Physics comes from self-study and helpful forums like this one. I reckon another twenty years or so and I should be getting the hang of it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Adrian Baker
Wow Warren - you surprise me. You might not have the degree but your knowledge is very impressive indeed.

:smile:
Thank you very much! I'm essentially all self-taught, which has a few advantages, but many more disadvantages. I'm also frankly not very good at physics -- I don't seem to have any natural ability. I have had to struggle really hard just to get what little knowledge I have. But, it's a labor of love, I guess.

- Warren

I have a PhD in Theoretical Solid State Physics, my specialty is transport in anisotropic semicondiuctors, i.e. solve the Boltzmann equation for the distribution of holes or electrons. I do not use the relaxation time approximation though, my method is exact, not an approximation.

I work in the defense industry like most of the people I went to school with and do nothing that my degree prepared me for. Don't be on the lookout for a faculty position too soon, they are far and few between and do not pay nearly as well as industry.