Physics 100: Solving the Overtaking Problem of a Car and Train

In summary, the problem involves an automobile traveling at 95 km/hr overtaking a train traveling at 75 km/hr on a parallel track. The question is to determine how long it takes for the car to pass the train and how far the car will have traveled in that time. To solve the problem, one needs to consider the relative motion of the car and the train and use Newtonian mechanics and Galilean relativity. The positions of the train and car can be denoted by y=75t+1.10 and x=95t respectively, and to overtake the train, their positions need to be the same at a certain time.
alda00
I have a homework problem that I can't solve, I have been spending some time on it. It goes like this...

An automobile traveling 95km/ overtakes a 1.10 km long train traveling i the same direction on a track parallel to the road. If the train's speed is 75kh/h how long does it take for the car to pass it, and how far will the care have traveled in this time?

Physics news on Phys.org
alda00 said:
I have a homework problem that I can't solve, I have been spending some time on it. It goes like this...

An automobile traveling 95km/ overtakes a 1.10 km long train traveling i the same direction on a track parallel to the road. If the train's speed is 75kh/h how long does it take for the car to pass it, and how far will the care have traveled in this time?

you must show your work, first.

try considering this question:
An automobile traveling 95 km/hr is 1.10 km behind a train(a point source) that is traveling at 75 km/hr, and so how long does it takes...?

always draw a diagram if in doubt

remember that all motion is relative so think of the way the car is moving relative to the train, so how long would it take?

by the way, with that sort of speed, I don't think it is a question involving special relativity either, so standard Newtonian mechanics and Galilean relativity are applicable

Denote the position of the front part of the train as y

y=75t+1.10

Denote the position of the car as

x=95t

You can see the logic of the equations above, at time t = 0, y=1.10km (correct!)
At time t=0, x=0(correct)

with the derived equations of the positions of the train and car, and for the car to overtake the train, their position have to be the same at a certain time t, so, what should you do?

What is the purpose of Physics 100 homework?

The purpose of Physics 100 homework is to reinforce the concepts and principles taught in class and to help students develop problem-solving skills.

How should I approach Physics 100 homework?

It is important to read and understand the assigned material before attempting the homework. Start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use the relevant equations and concepts to solve each part. It is also helpful to check your work and ask for assistance if needed.

What resources are available for Physics 100 homework help?

There are various resources available for Physics 100 homework help, such as textbooks, lecture notes, online tutorials, and study groups. Your professor and teaching assistants are also valuable resources and can provide clarification on any challenging concepts.

What should I do if I am struggling with Physics 100 homework?

If you are struggling with Physics 100 homework, do not hesitate to ask for help. You can reach out to your professor or teaching assistants for clarification on concepts or visit tutoring centers on campus. It is also beneficial to review class notes and practice problems to strengthen your understanding.

How can I improve my performance on Physics 100 homework?

To improve your performance on Physics 100 homework, it is essential to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make sure to attend lectures, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class. It is also beneficial to practice regularly and seek help when needed.