Solve for Spring Compression: Physics 11 Momentum and Energy Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance that a spring must be compressed for a 2.2 kg cart to end up moving at 1.5 m/s, given the mass and force constant of the carts and the spring. The solution involves using equations for momentum and energy, and applying the law of conservation of energy to find the answer.
roxxyroxx

Homework Statement

A 1.1 kg cart and a 2.2 kg cart are at rest with a compressed string between them. the force constant of the spring is 600 N/m. when the spring is released, the carts rapidly separate. how far must the spring have been compressed for the 2.2 kg cart to end up moving at 1.5 m/s?
(involves both momentum and energy)

Homework Equations

p = mv
Ek = 0.5mv2
Ep = 0.5kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't even know where to start !

Physics news on Phys.org
Figure out the total KE of the carts. Hint: What's the momentum of the system?

Doc Al said:
Figure out the total KE of the carts. Hint: What's the momentum of the system?

ok so i got:
0.5(1.1)(3^2) = 4.95 J for Cart 1
0.5(2.2)(1.5^2) = 2.475 J for Cart 2

Using what you know about the system, apply the law of conservation of energy now.

jgens said:
Using what you know about the system, apply the law of conservation of energy now.

ok so
0.5mv2
= 0.5(7.425)(1.5)2
=8.35

but the answer should be 0.16 m.. did i do something wrong or is there another setp now?

Well, your total kinetic energy is the sum of the kinetic energy of each kart, so KE = 7.425. You know that the resultant KE must equal the initial potential energy so KE = .5(k)(x^2).

great thanks !

You're welcome.

1. What topics are covered in Physics 11?

Physics 11 typically covers topics such as motion, forces, energy, waves, and electricity.

2. What equations do I need to memorize for Physics 11?

Some of the most commonly used equations in Physics 11 include the equations for velocity, acceleration, force, work, power, and energy. It is important to understand the concepts behind these equations and how to apply them rather than just memorizing them.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Physics 11 concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of Physics 11 concepts is to practice solving problems and doing experiments. You can also watch educational videos, attend study groups, and ask your teacher for clarification on any confusing topics.

4. What are some real-life applications of Physics 11?

Physics 11 concepts are used in many real-life applications, such as designing structures, understanding the laws of motion for vehicles, and developing technologies like electricity and magnetism.

5. What are some tips for studying for Physics 11?

Some tips for studying for Physics 11 include staying organized, reviewing notes and class materials regularly, practicing problem-solving, and seeking help when needed. It is also important to have a good understanding of the basic mathematical concepts and equations used in physics.