Physics 11 Help: Solving for Power Output of a Car Accelerating to 80 km/h

In summary, a 1,200 kg car accelerates uniformly from rest to 80 km/h in 10 seconds. Using the equation P=f*v, the power output of the motor is 2640 N multiplied by the distance traveled. Another equation, P=W/t, can also be used to find the power output.
roxxyroxx
Physics 11 help please?!?

Homework Statement

a 1 200 kg car accelerates uniformly along level ground from rest to a speed of 80 km/h in 10 s. what is the power output of th motor?

Homework Equations

eff=(mgh/f*d)x100%
p=f*v

The Attempt at a Solution

idk where 2 start...

Physics news on Phys.org

Seeing as how the car goes from rest to 80 km/h in 10 s, what is the acceleration produced by the car and hence the force produced by the car?

a=2.2m/s^2
so what formula do i use?

Did you learn that P=W/t? where W=work and t=time?

About the a= 2.2m/s^2, i didnt check the number, but if you know the acceleration, and you know the mass. Then use F=ma

ok so F=2640N and W=F*d so what's d?

Use the second equation you put in the relevant equations section.

Yeah, you are making it harder on yourself if you use P=W/t, i was just bringing it up as another method to use at some point. You already know P=f*v and you have f and v

1. How do I calculate the power output of a car accelerating to 80 km/h?

To calculate the power output of a car accelerating to 80 km/h, you will need to know the car's mass and the time it takes to reach the speed of 80 km/h. You can then use the formula P = (m*v^2)/t, where P is power, m is mass, v is velocity, and t is time. This will give you the power output of the car in watts.

2. What is the difference between power and energy in this context?

In this context, power refers to the rate at which energy is being transferred or used, while energy refers to the total amount of work done. In other words, power is the measure of how quickly energy is being used, while energy is the measure of the total amount of work done.

3. How does the acceleration of the car affect its power output?

The acceleration of the car directly affects its power output. The faster the car accelerates, the more power is required to maintain that acceleration. This is because power is directly proportional to the car's mass and the square of its velocity. So, the greater the acceleration, the higher the power output will be.

4. What units are used to measure power output?

Power output is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp). In some cases, it may also be measured in kilowatts (kW) or British Thermal Units per hour (BTU/h). It is important to pay attention to the units when calculating power output to ensure accurate results.

5. How can I improve the power output of my car?

There are a few ways to improve the power output of a car, such as increasing the engine's horsepower, reducing the car's weight, or improving the aerodynamics. Another factor that can affect power output is the type of fuel used, so using a higher quality or performance fuel may also improve power output. However, it is important to note that modifying a car's engine or components should only be done by a professional to ensure safety and proper functioning.