Solve Physics 11 Problem 16 with Momentum | Help with Calculations

In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics problem involving momentum. The fullback and defensive tackle collide in midair, resulting in both players ending up with zero speed. The conversation discusses the fullback's momentum before and after the collision, as well as the change in momentum for both players. One participant suggests using a conservation of momentum equation to solve the problem. Eventually, it is determined that the tackle's original momentum was -779 and he was originally moving at -6.1m/s, with a change in momentum of 0.
Iceclover
This is really easy stuff, but I am really confused. I have a couple other questions as well. If there's anyone who's really good with momentum than do you think you could spend a little while to help me out? alright well here's one problem.

A 95kg fullback, running at 8.2m/s, collides in midair with a 128-kg defensive tackle moving in the opposite direction. Both players end up with zero speed.
a) what was the fullbacks momentum before the collision...(I came up with 779-kg*m/s)

B) what was the change in the fullbacks momentum?

C) what was the change in the tackles momentum?

D) what was the tackles original momentum?

E)how fast was the tackle originally moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know your original fullbacks momentum and his final momentum. So what is the "change" in his momentum?

-779? how do i do the rest of the problem though?

Well if they come to a complete stop, what has to be true?

that they don't have any momentum anymore?

What does that mean about their original momentum?

Im not sure. I am confused

Write out a conservation of momentum equation for the problem and see how you might get no net velocity after the collision.

the only equations my teacher gave us was p=Ft and p=mv

P(tackle)+ P(fullback)= P' (Tackle-Fullback system)

oh ok. So the tackles original momentum is -779? and he was originally moving at -6.1m/s?

yes, that's right!

and the change in momentum is 0?

The change in the momentum of the tackle? What was his original p and what was his final p.

his original p=-779 and his finalp=0

So what's his change in p

1. What is the problem statement for Physics 11 problem 16?

The problem statement for Physics 11 problem 16 is not specified as it can vary depending on the curriculum or textbook being used. However, typically it will involve applying concepts of kinematics or Newton's laws to solve a motion-related problem.

2. What are the key concepts involved in Physics 11 problem 16?

The key concepts involved in Physics 11 problem 16 are likely to be related to kinematics, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, as well as Newton's laws of motion.

3. How can I approach solving Physics 11 problem 16?

The best approach to solving Physics 11 problem 16 is to clearly understand the given problem statement and identify the relevant equations and concepts. Then, set up a diagram or table to organize the given information and apply the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What are some common mistakes students make when solving Physics 11 problem 16?

Some common mistakes students make when solving Physics 11 problem 16 include using incorrect equations, not properly converting units, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully check your work and use the correct equations and units to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any helpful tips for solving Physics 11 problem 16?

Some helpful tips for solving Physics 11 problem 16 include drawing accurate diagrams, double-checking your calculations, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to practice solving similar problems to improve your understanding of the concepts involved.