Physics 11: Solving for Initial Speed of a Van and Compact Car Collision

In summary, a 2575-kg van collides into the back of a 825-kg compact car at rest, causing them to move off together at 8.5m/s. Assuming no friction with the ground, the initial speed of the van can be found using the conservation of momentum equation. This involves setting the momentum of the system before the collision on one side and the momentum of the entire system after the collision on the other. By writing out the equation, the unknown initial momentum can be solved for and is found to be 11.2 m/s.
Iceclover

Homework Statement

a 2575-kg van runs into the back of a 825-kg compact car at rest. they move off together at 8.5m/s. assuming no friction with the ground, find the initial speed of the van

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out conservation of momentum equation. The momuentum of the system before the collision on one side and the momentum of the entire system after the collision on the other.

how do i do that

see other problem

how do i find out the momentum before the collision when i only have a velocity for after the collision?

write out the equation like in the last problem. Fortunately that is your only unknown.

i got 11.2 m/s

Good work!

1. What is the problem statement for Physics 11 problem 19?

The problem statement for Physics 11 problem 19 may vary depending on the textbook or curriculum, but it typically involves a scenario where an object is thrown or dropped and the student is asked to calculate its displacement, velocity, or acceleration at a certain point in time.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving Physics 11 problem 19?

The key concepts involved in solving Physics 11 problem 19 include kinematics (the study of motion), displacement (change in position), velocity (rate of change of displacement), and acceleration (rate of change of velocity).

3. What are the steps to solve Physics 11 problem 19?

The steps to solve Physics 11 problem 19 may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally involve identifying the given information, determining the relevant equations to use, substituting values into the equations, and solving for the unknown variable.

4. What are some tips for solving Physics 11 problem 19?

Some tips for solving Physics 11 problem 19 include drawing a diagram to visualize the scenario, carefully reading and understanding the problem statement, using the correct units and significant figures in calculations, and checking for errors in calculations.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving Physics 11 problem 19?

You can practice and improve your skills in solving Physics 11 problem 19 by completing practice problems and exercises in your textbook or online, seeking help from a teacher or tutor, and reviewing and understanding the underlying concepts and principles involved in the problems.