1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics 12 help

1. Jun 16, 2011 #1
    Physics 12 help :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A charge +q and charge -q are placed at opposite corners of a square. will a third charge experience a greater force if it is placed at one of the empty corners of the square, or at the center of the square? explain

not very good if it doesn't involve calculations.. thanks !

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2011 #2
    Re: Physics 12 help :)

You have to fill out all three parts. What do you know and what don't you know? What are some attempts you've made so far? We can't (rather, won't) help unless we know where you're stuck.

4. Jun 16, 2011 #3

well no information is given as far as charges go, simply one being positive, and the other negative.

I was thinking that a charge would experience a greater force if it was placed at the center of the square because the distance between the two opposite charges are closer together rather then on a corner. But I'm not positive, if someone could confirm this for me.

5. Jun 16, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

That someone else who would confirm or deny the statement would have the same information that you do.

Why don't you see what the formulas show? What are the relative distances between the vertexes and center of a square?

6. Jun 16, 2011 #5

No information was given to me for the question, there were no formulas given or any information in addition to what I posted... :\

7. Jun 16, 2011 #6

gneill

I suggest that you review your text or course notes. They should have something that applies to the forces between electric charges :wink:

8. Jun 16, 2011 #7

sadly i don't which resorted me to come here for help.. but thanks anyways though I guess i just won't bother with the assignment haha

9. Jun 16, 2011 #8

gneill

If you haven't been introduced to Coulomb's Law in your coursework, then the assignment must be daunting indeed. If your text doesn't mention it, you may need to find a better text :smile: The web has lots of information on it if you care to do a bit of spadework.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook