1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics 12 Kinematics Question

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    Physics 12 Kinematics Question.. Please Help!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball rolls off the top of a 12.5m building with a speed of 3.4m/s. How long does it take to hit the ground? What is the range from the base of the building?

2. Relevant equations
    V = V0 + at
    V2=V02 + 2ad
    Avg V = (V = V0) /2
    d = V0 + 1/2 at2

3. The attempt at a solution
    All I've got was a sketch drawn.. Please help me. Well I timed 12.5 by 3.4 to get how long it took to hit the ground but I'm not sure if it is right. I'm guessing to find the range you must need an angle of some sort?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Physics 12 Kinematics Question.. Please Help!

Welcome to PF jameo15,

You need to consider the horizontal and vertical components of motion separately. When the ball rolls off the building, just at the point where it leaves the surface, what is it's vertical speed?

4. Jul 4, 2008 #3

Would it's vertical speed be the acceleration due to gravity? But at the point where it leaves the surface, it should be zero right?

5. Jul 4, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, but that would be it's acceleration.
    Correct. So using this information, can you determine how long it takes to hit the ground (just considering vertical motion).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?