Calculating Potential Energy and Velocity in Newton's Cradle Lab

In summary, the first ball is released at 3.0 cm above its equilibrium position and the potential energy is 1.5*10^-2J. Then the law of conservation of energy is used to calculate the velocity before impact. The equation used was ep=mgh...=.05(9.8).03.
gdhillon
1. This lab is based on 'Newtons cradle' () I can't link to the actual lab video because that requires my password and username...not that I don't trust you guys/gals but its a public site. Anyway, he let's the first ball go at 3.0 cm above it's equilibrium position and asks for me to calculate the potential energy (the ball on the side reaches a height of 2.6cm from the initial bounce). I found that to be 1.5*10^-2J. the equation I used was ep=mgh...=.05(9.8).03. Then I am asked to Use the law of conservation of energy to calculate its velocity before impact. This where I am confused as to what numbers I should use.

I tried Eki+epi=Ekf+Epf, I plugged in the numbers;

1/2(.05)v^2+(.05*9.8*03)=0
.025v^2=-.0147
v=-2.424...I set this equation to equal zero b/c they ask me for the velocity before impact, and before there was an impact there was no energy transferred. Am I correct in this thinking? If I am not please correct me. The negative velocity I got doesn't quite make sense to me. And I am a little stuck, pleas help!

Thanks!

Gavin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation...

Eki+epi=Ekf+Epf

is correct but you then made a mistake rearranging it.

The initial KE at release Eki=0
The final PE at the bottom Epf=0

so you are left with

Epi=Ekf
or
mgh = 0.5mV2

The mass then cancels and you can solve for V.

okay thank you, I got 7.7x10^-1 J

Now for question 5) they ask for the velocity of the ball on the other side after the collision. So I would use the formula :Eki+epi=Ekf+Epf. And for the height I would have .026m. So the initial PE would this time be zero and the final KE would be zero to.
And I would have Eki=Epf. Plugging numbers in I would have 1/2v^2=9.8(.026) and I would end up with 7.1x10^-1J . Does that sound right? It sounds right to me because the energy in is very close to the energy out (I assume a little bit of energy was lost to sound and heat)

Thanks,

Gavin

Can anyone chime in?

The reasoning seems correct to me. But did they ask for v or E?

You have to know the mass of ball bearings to find E?

You gave an answer in Joules. Where are the m/s?

Last edited:
Should the 0.77 be in m/s ?

pgardn said:
Should the 0.77 be in m/s ?

You mean .71, right?

haruspex said:
You mean .71, right?
okay thank you, I got 7.7x10^-1 J

I was referring to his first answer.

1. What is the purpose of a Physics 12 lab?

The purpose of a Physics 12 lab is to provide students with hands-on experience in applying the concepts and theories learned in class. It allows students to practice the scientific method and develop critical thinking skills.

2. What safety precautions should be taken during a Physics 12 lab?

Safety is of utmost importance during a Physics 12 lab. Always wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as goggles and lab coats. Follow all instructions carefully and handle equipment and chemicals with caution. In case of an accident, notify the instructor immediately.

3. How do I calculate work in a Physics 12 lab?

To calculate work, you need to multiply the force applied by the distance over which it is applied. The formula for work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

4. What is the difference between work and power in a Physics 12 lab?

Work is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied over a distance, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, power is the amount of work done per unit of time. The formula for power is P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time.

5. How can I improve my results in a Physics 12 lab?

To improve your results in a Physics 12 lab, make sure to carefully follow all instructions and measurements. Take accurate and precise measurements, and repeat experiments multiple times to ensure consistency. Analyze your data and results carefully and make adjustments as needed. Finally, ask questions and seek help from your instructor if needed.