Physics 12 momentum question

In summary: Perhaps you could clarify that with him/her?In summary, two divers with masses of 55 kg and 72 kg dive off a stationary lift raft of mass 160 kg at the same time, with one diving East at 4.4 m/s and the other diving North at 4.2 m/s. To find the speed and direction of the raft's motion, we use the equation P(north) + P(east) = P(raft), where P represents momentum. Solving for the velocity of the raft, we get 3.4 m/s at an angle of 15 degrees South of West. However, this direction may be incorrect as the raft's motion may not be in the direction of the
gdhillon
A stationary lift raft of mass 160 kg is carrying two survivors with masses of 55 kg and
72 kg. They dive off the raft at the same instant, the 55kg person East at 4.4 m/s and the 72
kg person North at 4.2 m/s. AT what speed and in what direction does the raft start to move?
So i started off by finding the impluses of both the people. P(north)=mv=72(4.2)=302.4 then p(east)=4.4(55)=242 and then i said p(north) +p(east)=p(raft). so 302.4+2424=160v then solving for v 3.4m/s @15degrees S of W (my teacher said the direction is correct)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please follow the posting template for each new thread.

gdhillon said:
A stationary lift raft of mass 160 kg is carrying two survivors with masses of 55 kg and
72 kg. They dive off the raft at the same instant, the 55kg person East at 4.4 m/s and the 72
kg person North at 4.2 m/s. AT what speed and in what direction does the raft start to move?

So i started off by finding the impluses of both the people. P(north)=mv=72(4.2)=302.4 then p(east)=4.4(55)=242 and then i said p(north) +p(east)=p(raft). so 302.4+2424=160v then solving for v 3.4m/s @15degrees S of W (my teacher said the direction is correct)

Can you elaborate on your calculations/reasoning? Why are you setting the raft's momentum equal to the total impulse of the divers? Won't the raft be propelled in the opposite directions to the divers?

How did 242 become 2424? Don't these momenta have directions associated with them, so that you'll have to use vector addition not algebraic addition?

Neither the magnitude nor the angle you've found look correct to me; I suspect that your teacher may have been mistaken about the angle of the raft's motion.

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum in physics is a measure of an object's motion, taking into account its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its momentum.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in kilogram meters per second (kg m/s).

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before an interaction or event is equal to the total momentum after the event, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

4. How is momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. This means that a larger force will result in a greater change in an object's momentum, and a smaller force will result in a smaller change in momentum.

5. How is momentum used in practical applications?

Momentum has many practical applications, especially in engineering and transportation. It is used to calculate the forces involved in collisions, design safer cars and other vehicles, and understand the movement of fluids and gases in pipes and turbines. Momentum is also important in astronomy, as it helps scientists understand the motions of celestial bodies.