1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics 2 coaxial potential help

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    Physics 2 coaxial potential help!!!

https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/phys2112/summer/homework/Ch-22-E-Potential/IE_cylindersV/coax.gif [Broken]

The diagram above shows a coaxial cable. The inner conductor has radius a = 0.0025 m. The outer conductor is a cylindrical shell with inner radius b = 0.0075 m, and outer radius c = 0.008 m from the center. Both conductors are coaxial. For every length L = 10 m of cable, there is a total charge q = 2.8e-008 C on the inner conductor and a total charge of Q = -5.6e-006 C on the outer conductor.

Determine the electric potential difference between the labeled points A and B.

PLEASE 've been working on this problem for about THREE hours, and I still can't get it!!! I'm so confused. Please please please!

I tried using the voltage equations from c to b and then adding it w/the voltage from b to a. and it's wrong!!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2
    Re: Physics 2 coaxial potential help!!!

I think you may find first E for r>=c.
    Please use Gauss law.
    Integral of E from r=c to infinity will give potential at r=c.
    Use the condition that potential at infinity = 0.
    Go the same way to the center.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook