Physics 20-1: Energy Homework Solutions

In summary, for a) the question involves determining the average force of air resistance on a 0.25 kg pine cone that falls from a height of 20 m and hits the ground with a speed of 9.0 m/s. The air resistance force is proportional to the square of the velocity. For b), the question involves using conservation of energy to determine the final speed of a 12 kg mass attached to a pulley system with a 4.0 kg mass at rest on the floor. The total distance traveled by the 12 kg mass is 5.0 m.
physicznoob

Homework Statement

a) A 0.25 kg pine cone falls from a branch 20 m above the ground. if it actually hits the ground with a speed of 9.0m/s, what was the average force of air resistance exerted on it?

b) For the pulley system illustrated to the right, when the masses are released, what is the final speed of the 12kg mass just before it hits the floor?

* the diagram is basically a 4.0 kg box at rest on the floor with a rope attached to it, the rope is thrown over a pulley, and attached to the hanging 12 kg box. the total distance that the 12 kg box travels is 5.0m.

Homework Equations

i have for a) W = F d and for b) Ep = mgh, Ek = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea how to get started.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first you have to use that the air resistance force, is proportional to the square of the velocity in this case.
For the second one, just use conservation of energy

For the first you have to use that the air resistance force, is proportional to the square of the velocity in this case.
For the second one, just use conservation of energy

For a)
consider other definitions of mechanical work. e.g. the change in kinetic energy.

A starting point for b) should be to consider the forces acting on each box

thx guys! i figured them both out. now i just need to be able to apply them in my exam today xD

1. What are the primary objectives of Physics 20-1: Energy?

The primary objectives of Physics 20-1: Energy are to develop an understanding of energy concepts and principles, apply these concepts to analyze real-world problems, and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How does Physics 20-1: Energy relate to other branches of physics?

Physics 20-1: Energy is a branch of physics that focuses specifically on the study of energy and its various forms, including kinetic, potential, and thermal energy. It is closely related to other branches of physics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

3. What topics are covered in Physics 20-1: Energy?

The topics covered in Physics 20-1: Energy include energy conservation, work and power, mechanical energy, thermal energy, and energy transformations. It also covers concepts such as energy efficiency, renewable and non-renewable energy sources, and the laws of thermodynamics.

4. How can I improve my understanding of energy concepts in Physics 20-1?

Some ways to improve your understanding of energy concepts in Physics 20-1 may include attending lectures and actively participating in class discussions, completing practice problems and assignments, seeking additional help from the teacher or a tutor, and regularly reviewing and studying the material.

5. What are the real-world applications of the concepts learned in Physics 20-1: Energy?

The concepts learned in Physics 20-1: Energy have numerous real-world applications. For example, understanding energy conservation can help in designing more efficient and sustainable energy systems. Understanding the laws of thermodynamics can help in improving the efficiency of engines and refrigerators. The concepts of energy transformation are also applicable in everyday life, such as in the operation of a car or a household appliance.