1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics 250 Problem: Help

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    PROBLEM
    If the size of a new Kuiper object is 0.0150 arc sec in angular size as seen from a distance of 42.00 AU, what is the true diameter? If it has a satellite with a period of 5.50 hours at a semimajor axis of 12500.0 km, what is the mass? What is the resulting density? What do you it is composed of?

What I know:
    I know that I use V=4/3(pi)r^3 to get the density and previous equations to solve for mass. I don't know how I am supposed to apply the 0.0150 arc seconds or distance to solve for the diameter. What is the equation for that?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What is the relationship of the some length of segment on the circumference of a circle and the angle subtended by that segment?

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3
    I have no idea what you mean when you say "angle subtended..."

5. Nov 16, 2005 #4
    Is the concept of angular size the trouble here. Here is a diagram, with this you should know what to do...
    [​IMG]

So the furthur away the object is, the smaller the angular size will become.

Hope this helps...
    Sam

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?