Calculating Proton Speed in an Accelerator and Repulsive Force at 8 x 10^-14 m

• Thread starter cathoderay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, in an accelerator, protons are accelerated through a potential difference of 1.0 x 10^6 volts. To find the speed of the proton when they leave the accelerator, the equation E=vq and v= sqr(2Ek/m) can be used. When the protons enter a zinc target, the closest distance they come to a zinc nucleus is 8 x 10^-14 m. Using Coulomb's law, it can be shown that the force of repulsion between the proton and nucleus at this distance is about 1N, with the charge on the zinc nucleus being 30 times the charge on the electron. For part C, the diagram shows the path of three protons, one
cathoderay
In an accelerator, protons are accelerated through a potential difference of 1.0 x 10^6 volts.
a)what is the speed of the proton when they leave the accelerator?

b)When the protons enter a zinc target, the closest distance they come to a zinc nucleus is 8 x 10^-14 m. show that the force of repulsion between the proton and nucleus at this distance is about 1N. The charge on the Zinc nucleus has value 30 times the charge on the electron.
(Picture 1-attached)
c)On the diagram below, complete the path of three protons.
-> Aimed directly at the nucleus of Zn
-> Aimed towards the edge of a nucleus of Zn
-> Aimed in the area between two nuclei of Zn.
(Picture 2-attached)

for a) i use E=vq and then v= sqr(2Ek/m) to get the answer

3. for B&C I am not sure wht i have to do?? could some one splaind me please thanks..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part B, try to use Coulomb's law.

part A & B solve thanks...
part c i would like some help figuring out what I am supous to do..
thanks ..

1. What is Physics 30?

Physics 30 is an advanced level course that covers a wide range of topics in classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics. It is typically taken in the last year of high school and serves as a prerequisite for many university science and engineering programs.

2. What are some common topics covered in Physics 30?

Some common topics covered in Physics 30 include kinematics, forces, energy and momentum, electrostatics, circuits, and light and optics. These topics are often taught through a combination of theory, problem-solving, and hands-on experiments.

3. What are some tips for succeeding in Physics 30?

Some tips for succeeding in Physics 30 include staying organized, practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and actively engaging in class. It is also important to have a strong understanding of basic math and algebra concepts as they are crucial in solving physics problems.

4. What are some possible career opportunities with a background in Physics 30?

A background in Physics 30 can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, medicine, and technology. Some specific job titles may include physicist, engineer, data analyst, or medical physicist.

5. How can I prepare for exams in Physics 30?

To prepare for exams in Physics 30, it is important to review notes and practice problems regularly. It can also be helpful to attend review sessions and seek clarification on any challenging concepts. Additionally, creating study aids such as flashcards or summaries can aid in retention of information.