1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics 40S inclined Plane Problem. Please help!

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    Boom-Boom Slapshot, Canadian hockey star, slides down a 50m long ice covered hill on his skates. The frictionless hill is inclined at 35° to the horizontal. Once he reaches the bottom of the hill, the ice is covered with deep snow that has a coefficient of kinetic friction of .50
    How far into the snow will BoomBoom go before coming to rest?

Equations
    acceleration = fparallel / mass
    vf^2 = 2a Δd
    f = µFN
    FN = opposite of Fg which is mass x 9.8

Attempt
    I drew out the problem and came to the conclusion that since I was working with an inclined plane that the mass of the hockey player didnt matter. I figured out (at least im pretty sure) that the acceleration is Sin35 * 9.8 = 5.62m/s
    Now I just dont know how to figure out the negative acceleration when he hits the snow. Because in order to calculate force friction, I need to know his mass. If someone could help me out it would be much appreaciated! Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Brodo17! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Forget acceleration … the angle is only needed for calculating the height

this is an energy problem …

use conservation of energy on the hill,

and the work-energy theorem ( work done = energy lost ) on the flat :wink:

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

Hi Brodo17

tinytim is right on the money.... just thought I would add your acceleration looks correct & you could do it that way, but the looking at the energy will save you a heap of time & effort

5. Mar 10, 2009 #4
    Thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook