Physics A, B & C - Differences & My Son's AP Class

• Thread starter tonyjacobsen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Physics A is the typical science requirement course for liberal arts majors and is not offered as an AP course. Physics B is the non-calculus based physics course usually taken by premeds, nursing students, and biology majors. Physics C is the calculus-based course typically required by physical science, math, and engineering majors. However, AP Physics B has been replaced by AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2, which cover similar topics and emphasize critical thinking and inquiry. The non-calculus version of AP Physics may be a good option for students who are also taking trig/precalc. There are separate books for Physics C and Physics 1 & 2, and the course descriptions can be found on the College Board website.
tonyjacobsen
My son just enrolled in Physics B, an AP class in high school. What are the differences between A, B, and C?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-physics-course-description.pdf

I have not heard of physics A, but physics B is the non calculus based physics usually for your physical science requirement if you are a liberal arts major. It also is required typically by kinesiology majors and sometimes Biology majors.

Physics C is calculus based and is typically required my all physical science, math and engineering majors.

AP Physics B no longer exists by that name. Beginning this fall, it has been replaced by AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2, which together cover basically the same topics that Physics B did, and which (according to Wikipedia), "are designed to emphasize critical thinking and reasoning as well as learning through inquiry." I don't know what this will mean in practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Physics

Thank you for your response. Since my son is going to take trig/precalc at the same time as this AP Physics class, the non-calc version makes sense. I hope he will be offered AP Physics 2 as a senior then since he will have at least some calc under his belt. Honestly, I don't see how they can really teach physics without calculus and still call it AP. Seems to me it will be really easy/basic, almost Junior High level.
Again, thanks for your response. I will see if I can pull more info out of the teacher after school starts. The teacher wasn't at open house (which was really unusual), so all of the parents were left hanging.

I realize I am late to this discussion, but would like to clear up some wrong information that has been posted.

TheKracken said:
I have not heard of physics A, but physics B is the non calculus based physics usually for your physical science requirement if you are a liberal arts major. It also is required typically by kinesiology majors and sometimes Biology majors.
No, "Physics A" is used to describe the typical science requirement course for liberal arts majors. It is not offered as an AP Course.
The equivalent of Physics B is typically taken by premeds, nursing students, and biology majors. It does not use calculus.
Physics C is calculus based and is typically required my all physical science, math and engineering majors.
Yes.
tonyjacobsen said:
Honestly, I don't see how they can really teach physics without calculus and still call it AP. Seems to me it will be really easy/basic, almost Junior High level.
Life-science and premed students typically take non-calculus physics in college. It is college level, so fitting for an AP course.

ZombieFeynman said:
http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-physics-course-description.pdf
That is 2 years out of date, but it does describe the different categories (A, B, C) of physics courses on pages 5 and 6.

There are now separate books, one for Physics C and one covering both Physics 1 & 2. The Physics 1 & 2 course description is the first link under "Resources" here:
http://advancesinap.collegeboard.org/math-and-science/physics

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Physics A, B, and C?

Physics A, B, and C are different levels of advanced placement (AP) physics courses offered in high schools. Physics A is an introductory course that covers basic concepts, while Physics B is a more comprehensive course that covers a wider range of topics. Physics C is divided into two separate courses: mechanics and electricity/magnetism, and is more math-intensive compared to Physics B.

2. Is it necessary for my son to take all three Physics A, B, and C courses?

It is not necessary for your son to take all three courses. However, it is recommended for students who are interested in pursuing a career in physics or a related field. Taking all three courses can also potentially increase your son's chances of getting into a top university.

3. What are the differences in curriculum between Physics A, B, and C?

Physics A covers basic concepts such as motion, forces, energy, and waves. Physics B covers a wider range of topics including thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and modern physics. Physics C focuses on mechanics and electricity/magnetism, and has a more rigorous mathematical approach compared to Physics B.

4. How do I know which Physics course is right for my son?

The right Physics course for your son depends on his academic strengths and interests. If he has a strong foundation in math and science, and is interested in pursuing a career in physics or engineering, then Physics C might be a good fit. If he is interested in a broader range of topics in physics, then Physics B might be a better option. If he is new to physics, then Physics A would be a good place to start.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking Physics A, B, or C?

There are no official prerequisites for taking these courses, however, it is recommended that students have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Some schools may also require students to have taken a basic physics course before enrolling in Physics B or C.