Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics about Windmill

1. Jun 20, 2005 #1
    hi every physics guy :smile:
    i have a project about windmill and i would like to get a lot of information about that.
    Can anyone give me some reference.
    Thankyou :!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

It would be helpful if you specify what sort you are interested in and whether you are writing a report, building a model, or building a full-scale working device. You can probably get a pretty good start here.

4. Jun 21, 2005 #3
    i know there are so many types of windmill
    and they all have their specific advantages and suitable application.
    But i cant find the detail about that. )o(
    can anyone help me ??

5. Jun 21, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

If you mean that you need to determine what type you need to suit a particular application, you can probably best determine it by comparing fan or propellor properties from aerodynamics. A windmill is just a fan in reverse. For instance, large highly angled blades (paddles) will give more torque at lower speed which is what the Dutch style requires to run heavy mechanical equipment. Smaller, flatter, more numerous ones (turbines) give high speed with little torque, as you find running alternators on some farms. There are also vertical turbines such as are used on some 'wind farms'. They are more like helicopter rotors set on end. Medium speed and torque, but very high efficiency. Height above the ground and placement relative to other physical objects also matter, because it should be in the highest average airflow.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  6. Jun 23, 2005 #5
    Really thank you for your help
    but i would like to have some picture about their stucture
    Do you where can i find that ??
    THanks for your kind attention

7. Jun 23, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

You're welcome. I don't know where to find anything more detailed on windmills themselves just off the top of my head. My time's a bit limited, but I'll try to find something and get back to you. In the meantime, quark kindly supplied the following in regard to fans in a previous thread. Hope it helps.

8. Jan 29, 2010 #7
    Hi, Can anyone help me to design a vertical axis windmill...

9. Jan 29, 2010 #8
    There are two basic types of vertical-axis machines (VAWTs); Darrieus and Savonius. See
    http://www.awea.org/faq/vawt.html
    Some (Darrieus) are not self-starting, like the horizontal axis HAWTs.
    Bob S

10. Jan 29, 2010 #9
    Really thank u for ur attention... I want to know more about Drag type VAWT, about its blade design, various loads acting on those blades...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?