Physics of Windmills - Get Info & References

In summary: Drag type VAWT have more efficient design with less frontal area of blade and it is more stable in wind because of that. Blade is shaped to minimize induced drag. :)In summary, a fan is just a fan in reverse. For instance, large highly angled blades (paddles) will give more torque at lower speed which is what the Dutch style requires to run heavy mechanical equipment. Smaller, flatter, more numerous ones (turbines) give high speed with little torque, as you find running alternators on some farms. There are also vertical turbines such as are used on some 'wind farms'. They are more like helicopter rotors set on end. Medium speed and torque
brucephy
hi every physics guy :smile:
i have a project about windmill and i would like to get a lot of information about that.
Can anyone give me some reference.
Thankyou :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful if you specify what sort you are interested in and whether you are writing a report, building a model, or building a full-scale working device. You can probably get a pretty good start here.

i know there are so many types of windmill
and they all have their specific advantages and suitable application.
But i can't find the detail about that. )o(
can anyone help me ??

brucephy said:
i know there are so many types of windmill
and they all have their specific advantages and suitable application.
But i can't find the detail about that. )o(
can anyone help me ??
If you mean that you need to determine what type you need to suit a particular application, you can probably best determine it by comparing fan or propellor properties from aerodynamics. A windmill is just a fan in reverse. For instance, large highly angled blades (paddles) will give more torque at lower speed which is what the Dutch style requires to run heavy mechanical equipment. Smaller, flatter, more numerous ones (turbines) give high speed with little torque, as you find running alternators on some farms. There are also vertical turbines such as are used on some 'wind farms'. They are more like helicopter rotors set on end. Medium speed and torque, but very high efficiency. Height above the ground and placement relative to other physical objects also matter, because it should be in the highest average airflow.

Last edited:
Really thank you for your help
but i would like to have some picture about their stucture
Do you where can i find that ??
THanks for your kind attention

You're welcome. I don't know where to find anything more detailed on windmills themselves just off the top of my head. My time's a bit limited, but I'll try to find something and get back to you. In the meantime, quark kindly supplied the following in regard to fans in a previous thread. Hope it helps.

quark said:
The flowrate across a fan depends upon the fan speed and the primemover should have enough power to move the air. You can use affinity laws of fan.
Q1/Q2 = N1/N2, H1/H2 = (N1/N2)^2 and P1/P2 = (N1/N2)^3, where Q is flowrate, H is head developed and P is power. When flowrate is high, the primemover develops power till it gets overloaded and trips off.

http://www.tcf.com/TCFBlower/literature.htm#bul
The above link provides you basic and detailed knowledge on fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Can anyone help me to design a vertical axis windmill...

There are two basic types of vertical-axis machines (VAWTs); Darrieus and Savonius. See
http://www.awea.org/faq/vawt.html
Some (Darrieus) are not self-starting, like the horizontal axis HAWTs.
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Really thank u for ur attention... I want to know more about Drag type VAWT, about its blade design, various loads acting on those blades...

What is the physics behind windmills?

Windmills work by converting the kinetic energy of wind into mechanical energy, which can then be used to power a variety of tasks such as grinding grain or generating electricity. This conversion is made possible by the aerodynamic design of the blades, which capture the energy of the wind and transfer it to a rotor. The rotor is connected to a generator, which then converts the mechanical energy into electricity.

How do windmills generate electricity?

Windmills generate electricity through the use of a generator, which converts the mechanical energy produced by the rotation of the rotor into electrical energy. The speed of the rotor is controlled by the wind, and the amount of electricity generated depends on the wind speed and the size and design of the windmill.

What factors affect the efficiency of windmills?

Several factors can affect the efficiency of windmills, including the design and size of the blades, the speed and direction of the wind, and the location of the windmill. Windmills are most efficient when they are placed in areas with high and consistent wind speeds, and when the blades are designed to capture as much energy from the wind as possible.

How do windmills contribute to renewable energy?

Windmills are a key component of renewable energy as they use a natural and unlimited source of energy - wind - to generate electricity. Unlike fossil fuels, wind energy does not produce harmful emissions and does not contribute to air pollution. Windmills also have a relatively low impact on the environment compared to other forms of energy production.

What are some real-life applications of windmills?

Windmills have a wide range of real-life applications, including generating electricity for homes and businesses, pumping water for irrigation and agriculture, and powering various mechanical tasks such as grinding grain or sawing wood. They are also commonly used in wind farms, where multiple windmills are used to generate large amounts of electricity for communities.