1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Physics adjunct pay rate

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    I am considering teaching a physics course at the community campus of a state university. I know how much adjunct math instructors get paid there. If I teach one 4-credit physics course, I would be spending an hour more in the classroom than if I taught a 4-credit math course, because of the lab. Do physics instructors usually get paid more per credit?

Thanks for everybody's help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2011 #2
    The adjunct rate I've been offered has been between 2 and 3k per 4 credit class.

4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    This makes sense (actually, it does not, because it is so low :)) However, I am not interested in the number as much as in the fact that a physics instructor teaches a 4 credit course that is 1 hour a week longer than a math 4 credit course and whether there is compensation for that. (Not to mention s/he would have to set up the lab, etc).

5. Jul 6, 2011 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The only way to get a reliable answer for your case is to ask your community college.

In our case, lecture and lab for intro physics are separate courses. An adjunct receives a standard amount for teaching a lecture class, and 2/3 of that amount for teaching a lab. This is consistent with the way we calculate teaching loads for full-time salaried faculty. I don't know for sure what would happen with an integrated lecture+lab course with the same total number of credit yours (3+1=4), because we've never had an adjunct teach one of those, but I expect it would be paid as 5/3 the lecture-only rate.

6. Jul 13, 2011 #5
    Well, I was finally told that the course would count as 4.5 credits, which means that an hour of lab "pays" as half a credit. I guess that's better than nothing!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook