Do Physics Instructors Get Paid More Than Math Instructors?

• Physics
  • Thread starter MuonMinus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics Rate
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential salary difference between teaching a 4-credit physics course and a 4-credit math course due to the extra hour spent in the classroom for the lab component of the physics course. The adjunct rate offered is between 2 and 3k per 4-credit class, and there is a question of whether physics instructors typically get paid more per credit compared to math instructors. It is mentioned that lecture and lab for intro physics are typically separate courses, and an adjunct receives a standard amount for teaching a lecture class and 2/3 of that amount for teaching a lab. However, it is uncertain how an integrated lecture+lab course would be compensated. In the end, it is revealed that the
MuonMinus
I am considering teaching a physics course at the community campus of a state university. I know how much adjunct math instructors get paid there. If I teach one 4-credit physics course, I would be spending an hour more in the classroom than if I taught a 4-credit math course, because of the lab. Do physics instructors usually get paid more per credit?

Thanks for everybody's help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The adjunct rate I've been offered has been between 2 and 3k per 4 credit class.

This makes sense (actually, it does not, because it is so low :)) However, I am not interested in the number as much as in the fact that a physics instructor teaches a 4 credit course that is 1 hour a week longer than a math 4 credit course and whether there is compensation for that. (Not to mention s/he would have to set up the lab, etc).

The only way to get a reliable answer for your case is to ask your community college.

In our case, lecture and lab for intro physics are separate courses. An adjunct receives a standard amount for teaching a lecture class, and 2/3 of that amount for teaching a lab. This is consistent with the way we calculate teaching loads for full-time salaried faculty. I don't know for sure what would happen with an integrated lecture+lab course with the same total number of credit yours (3+1=4), because we've never had an adjunct teach one of those, but I expect it would be paid as 5/3 the lecture-only rate.

Well, I was finally told that the course would count as 4.5 credits, which means that an hour of lab "pays" as half a credit. I guess that's better than nothing!

What is the average pay rate for a physics adjunct?

The average pay rate for a physics adjunct varies depending on the institution and location. Generally, the pay rate can range from $1,500 to $5,000 per course.

What factors determine the pay rate for a physics adjunct?

The pay rate for a physics adjunct is typically determined by the institution's budget, the adjunct's qualifications and experience, the course load, and the location of the institution.

Is the pay rate for a physics adjunct different from a full-time professor?

Yes, the pay rate for a physics adjunct is typically lower than a full-time professor. This is because adjuncts are typically part-time and do not receive the same benefits and job security as full-time professors.

Do physics adjuncts receive any benefits in addition to their pay rate?

It depends on the institution. Some institutions may offer benefits such as health insurance or retirement plans for their adjuncts, while others may not.

Can physics adjuncts negotiate their pay rate?

In most cases, the pay rate for a physics adjunct is non-negotiable. However, some institutions may allow for negotiation based on the adjunct's qualifications and experience.