How Does Acceleration Affect Final Velocity in an Elevator?

• Thread starter Leo34005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves an elevator moving upward at 0.97 m/s and experiencing an acceleration of 0.33 m/s2 downward over a distance of 0.61 m. Using the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, we can find the final velocity of the elevator. However, we still need to know the time in order to solve the equation.
Leo34005

Homework Statement

An elevator is moving upward at 0.97 m/s when it experiences an acceleration 0.33 m/s2 downward, over a distance of 0.61 m. What will its final velocity be?

Homework Equations

Not Sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Not Sure

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Leo34005! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Use the standard constant acceleration equations. :wink:

Show us what you get. :smile:

I don't know what to put in

Leo34005 said:
I don't know what to put in

uh?? :confused:

you have the initial speed, the acceleration, and the distance, and you want the final speed …

which equation(s) do you think that would be? :smile:

1st?

Leo34005 said:
1st?

which one is that? :confused:

write it out! :smile:

v = u + at

tiny-tim said:
you have the initial speed, the acceleration, and the distance, and you want the final speed …
Leo34005 said:
v = u + at

but you don't have the time!

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

Is that the right equation, if so what do i plug in?

Leo34005 said:
v^2 = u^2 + 2as

if you're not just guessing, you should know what to plug in …

what do you think?​

Forgive me for butting in, but this does not belong in Advanced Physics. This is freshman physics. You might get more help over there.

Thread moved to Intro Physics.

Show your work.

Leo34005 said:
v^2 = u^2 + 2as

ur close

1. What is "Physics Advance Problem"?

"Physics Advance Problem" refers to a complex problem or phenomenon in the field of physics that requires advanced knowledge and techniques to be solved. It may involve intricate mathematical calculations, experimental data analysis, and theoretical concepts.

2. How are "Physics Advance Problems" different from regular physics problems?

"Physics Advance Problems" are typically more challenging and require a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and theories. They may also involve cutting-edge research and technologies, making them more complex and difficult to solve compared to regular physics problems.

3. What are some examples of "Physics Advance Problems"?

A few examples of "Physics Advance Problems" include quantum entanglement, the theory of relativity, the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the search for a unified theory of everything. These are all complex and ongoing research topics in the field of physics.

4. How do scientists approach "Physics Advance Problems"?

Scientists approach "Physics Advance Problems" through a combination of theoretical analysis, experimental data, and advanced mathematical and computational techniques. They also collaborate with other experts in the field and use cutting-edge equipment and technology to tackle these complex problems.

5. Why are "Physics Advance Problems" important?

"Physics Advance Problems" are important because they push the boundaries of our understanding of the physical world. By solving these complex problems, scientists can develop new theories and technologies that have practical applications in various fields, such as medicine, engineering, and technology. They also help us gain a deeper understanding of the universe and our place within it.