1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics advice

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    hey everyone,

I have a dynamics course this semester and I'm not doing well.
    I don't really read the textbook, i read through the worked examples. I get the idea from there, then start working on problems.

I try to do many problems, but i feel I'm not getting it.Usually i cant solve a problem today that i solved yesterday

My questions are:
    When solving problems, are we suppose to plan how we would go about solving the problem. Then once we know the plan start doing it?

Do we need to know definitions before attempting the problems?

Once a good way to study physics?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you read the textbook? And a second one if you still aren't understanding the concepts? And the lecture notes? And going to office hours to ask questions.

It seems like you are trying to shortcut your way through the class without mastering the material. Apparently, and not surprisingly, your strategy is not succeeding.
  4. Jun 16, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you continue doing the same thing, you will continue to get similar results. Like the previous poster said, you really have to start reading the book, if you want to understand the material better.

But to answer your question: when approaching a problem, your first step should be to *think*. Most people find a simple sketch of the problem helps with this. Yes, you should have a plan of attack in mind before you start calculating.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook