Solve for the time and initial velocity of a ball rolling off a table?"

• Thread starter TS656577
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves a ball rolling off a table and landing 1.78 m away from the edge of the table. The equations x=vcos(x)t and y=vsin(x)t- .5gt^2 can be used to solve for the time the ball is in the air and its speed at the moment it leaves the table. Another equation, y=ut+\frac{1}{2}gt^2, can be used to solve for the time it takes for an object to fall from a height of 1.19 m. Without any initial vertical velocity, the time it takes for the ball to fall is approximately 0.493 seconds.
TS656577
[SOLVED] Physics again

Homework Statement

A small ball rolls horizontally off the edge of a tabletop that is 1.19 m high. It strikes the floor at a point 1.78 m horizontally away from the edge of the table. (a) How long is the ball in the air? (b) What is its speed at the instant it leaves the table?

Homework Equations

x=vcos(x)t
y=vsin(x)t- .5gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe those are the right equations that I need, but I have two unknowns in the equation, velocity and time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only other equation that I could maybe see using is y=(tan(*)x - (gx^2)/2(vcos(*)^2)

If the ball were simply dropped from a height of 1.19 m, how long would it take to fall?

This may sound stupid, but I have no idea...

TS656577 said:
This may sound stupid, but I have no idea...

[tex]y=ut+\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
(u=initial velocity)

Vertically...what is the height it falls from? Is there any initial vertical velocity?

Hmmm since there is no initial velocity, then the "ut" in essence cancels out to 0, thus, solving for t I got, .493 seconds.

1. What is physics again?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of the physical world.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics helps us to understand the world around us and make sense of natural phenomena such as gravity, electricity, and light. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technology and advancements in various fields like engineering, medicine, and space exploration.

3. What are some key concepts in physics?

Some key concepts in physics include motion, forces, energy, electricity, magnetism, and thermodynamics. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior of matter and the physical laws that govern it.

4. Can anyone learn physics?

Yes, anyone can learn physics! While it may seem intimidating at first, with dedication and practice, anyone can grasp the fundamental principles of physics. It is a fascinating subject that can be learned by people of all ages and backgrounds.

5. How is physics used in everyday life?

Physics is used in various aspects of everyday life, from the technology we use, such as smartphones and computers, to the appliances in our homes, like refrigerators and microwaves. It also helps us understand natural phenomena like weather patterns, the behavior of light, and the physics behind sports and games.