1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and algabra

1. Apr 15, 2004 #1
    What is the answer to how fast a ball fall's form 25 feet useing the formula d = 16t2 :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2004 #2
    [tex]d = 16t^2[/tex]

I assume that this gives the distance in feet. So,

[tex]t = \sqrt{25/16}[/tex]

However you want the velocity of the ball at t = that number above. Can you finish now?

4. Apr 15, 2004 #3
    physics and algebra

I think the answer is 1 1/4 or 5/4 can you tell me if i am on the right track.? :rolleyes:

5. Apr 16, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct.

6. Apr 16, 2004 #5
    This is only the time, not the velocity at that time. You still need to find velocity as a function of time. Can you do that?

7. Apr 17, 2004 #6
    if you find the first derivative of distance as a function of time this wud give you a formula for velocity if acceleration is not constant, in this case it wud be
    d'(t) = 36t.

8. Apr 17, 2004 #7

Judging by the title, I don't think Joseph would know calculus. However, I could be wrong.

9. Apr 17, 2004 #8
    Eh. . . The acceleration is constant. your post should read: "If you find the first derivative of distance as a function of time this would give you a formula for velocity, in this case it would be d'(t) = 36t."

10. Apr 17, 2004 #9
    Froget calculus; judging by this, "d'(t) = 36t" and the number of times it's been quoted in the last few posts, I don't think anyone here knows what 2*16 is!

11. Apr 18, 2004 #10

rj

hey,
    d = u*t + 1/2 a*t2
    => 25 = 1/2 g*t2 ....................(1)
    but according to the question
    d = 16 t2
    or
    25 = 16t2.................................(2)

comparing (1) and (2)
    1/2g=16

g= 32 feet/ second squared ??

or 12.8 metres/second squared ??

was the ball really undergoing a free fall ??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook