1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and Algrebra

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1
    How much overlap is there in physics and abstract algebra? Would it be worth my time as a physicist to take a course in algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2004 #2
    I took a semester of Abstract Algebra as an undergrad and absolutely HATED it. From what I saw, none of it had any application to Physics whatsoever. It seems like a purely fluff subject.

Linear Algebra, on the other hand, was of immense value in my education as a physicist. Along with complex variables, it was probably the most important upper-level math class I took.

4. Nov 18, 2004 #3
    Thanks. I'm taking linear algebra right now and loving it. If I want more linear algebra but I'd have to take the first abstract class before that.

5. Nov 18, 2004 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's defintely worth your time as group theory is very important in physics and besides which a more fundamental understanding of the mathetmatical structures you are using is always good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?