Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and Algrebra

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1
    How much overlap is there in physics and abstract algebra? Would it be worth my time as a physicist to take a course in algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2004 #2
    I took a semester of Abstract Algebra as an undergrad and absolutely HATED it. From what I saw, none of it had any application to Physics whatsoever. It seems like a purely fluff subject.

Linear Algebra, on the other hand, was of immense value in my education as a physicist. Along with complex variables, it was probably the most important upper-level math class I took.

4. Nov 18, 2004 #3
    Thanks. I'm taking linear algebra right now and loving it. If I want more linear algebra but I'd have to take the first abstract class before that.

5. Nov 18, 2004 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's defintely worth your time as group theory is very important in physics and besides which a more fundamental understanding of the mathetmatical structures you are using is always good.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook