1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and business?

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1
    I'm current a PhD student in physics with an emphasis in computational biophysics. However, I'm not sure a long, boring career in academia is for me. I'm thinking industry when I'm done but even then, I don't want to necessarily be stuck in a research scientist role for the rest of my life either. I would like to be able to transition more into a management role eventually and then on up (hopefully a high paying one at that too).

I was looking at options available to me here. I would think maybe an MBA is the most obvious choice, but god, the classes look boring and simple. There is also a combined physics phd/finance master's I'm looking into. However, this is generally for people wanting to transition purely to Wall Street whereas I'd still like to be involved in a science-related field.

So does anyone have experience with this? What's the best preparation to eventually make the jump from pure research to a management-level position?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2
    MBA without a doubt. The boring simple classes will pay themselves off when you're managing a science-related company. The other trick to do is to somehow get management experience on your own, which will be really hard since you're a PhD student. I'd go for the MBA.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  4. Jan 21, 2005 #3
    am still in high school and was hoping to do my undergrad in some type of engineering ( mostly mechanical ) and then do my MBA.... However, wont MBA be hard without doing BBA?

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?