1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and Computer Sciences

1. Sep 26, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm currently in a physics/computer sciences dual degree and I will finish it in 2 years if everything goes fine. I am interested in physics and computer sciences, and my options after my degree is either to continue in CS or physics. My ideal job would be a researcher but I don't know if I have the personality required to success in such a competitive field.

So there is the problem:

If I get a PhD in physics and can't make it into academia, i'm pretty much ****ed. I know people still manage to get good jobs, but from what I've read, it's not easy.

If I get it in CS and can't make it into academia, I'm also ****ed because from what I've read, the skills developed during PhD do not transfer well into industry.

So.. what would be your advice? I don't really like the idea of stopping my studies early because I love to learn. And I don't want a boring job in industry if I fail to get into academia.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2015 #2
    Then don't accept a boring industry job. They vary widely. What one person finds boring another finds exciting.

Learning doesn't stop when you get out of school. You can self study anything you want. Have you actually conducted research yet? If not, you may find you don't like it.

4. Sep 26, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If the only thing that will make you happy is a job in academia, then you need to ready yourself for the possibility - indeed, the probability - that you will be unhappy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook