What Are the Benefits of Studying Both EE and Physics in Undergraduate Programs?

In summary, the school I'm looking into for undergraduate studies (McGill University) offers both a Physics major with EE minor and an EE major with Physics minor. If you take the EE minor, you aren't accredited. I am planning on probably continuing with my education until at least a master's degree, but I really have no clue which of the two profiles I want to take. If you are planning on getting a graduate degree in either physics or engineering, you should definitely major in whichever of the two interests you more.
Enrickey
The school I'm looking into for undergraduate studies (McGill University) offers both a Physics major with EE minor and an EE major with Physics minor. If you take the EE minor, you aren't accredited. I am planning on probably continuing with my education until at least a master's degree, but I really have no clue which of the two profiles I want to take.

As far as work goes, what are the fields that would want somebody with both an EE and physics background, and what is probably more hireable, somebody with an engineering major, or somebody with a physics major?

If I were to continue with graduate studies, would taking either of the two really limit myself as to what I would be able to study, or are they pretty much the same thing, and I should just take major in whichever of the two subjects interests me more?

Physics news on Phys.org
Enrickey said:
As far as work goes, what are the fields that would want somebody with both an EE and physics background

Well, physics for starters...

Definitely major in whichever interests you more. If you want the engineer title and the cash that comes with it, EE major is required. They're not "pretty much the same thing" if you're going to get a graduate degree in one of them...but switching fields in grad school also isn't unheard of. They are close to the same thing if you're taking your B.S. and working in a field not directly related to either...at that point it's a degree in "hey look at me, I'm smart and know how to learn hard stuff!"...but that's probably not the option foremost on your mind if you're seriously looking towards grad school.

What gives with no major/major option? :(

There might be a major/major option, but I haven't gotten the chance to speak to an adviser yet, but they're visiting my school soon, so I'll get a chance.

The only thing that worries me about a major/major is that I've heard that both physics and electrical engineering are very demanding, and to combine them would be almost impossible, unless I study for 6 years. Right now, a single major should take me 3 years because I'm currently finishing Cegep.

Just out of interest though, are there any work fields in particular that appeal to someone who has studied in both electrical and physics? The major reason that I want to do both is that I am more interested in engineering as far as my future career goes, but I also love physics, and I would appreciate being able to somehow integrate the two.

Electrical engineering is the only major which McGill allows to minor in physics, so that is the big reason why I chose it out of all the other engineering disciplines. I've also been told that the electrical engineering curriculum contains the most physics or physics like courses (Although it still misses out on a ton of them) compared to the other engineering disciplines.

Enrickey said:
There might be a major/major option, but I haven't gotten the chance to speak to an adviser yet, but they're visiting my school soon, so I'll get a chance.

The only thing that worries me about a major/major is that I've heard that both physics and electrical engineering are very demanding, and to combine them would be almost impossible, unless I study for 6 years. Right now, a single major should take me 3 years because I'm currently finishing Cegep.

Just out of interest though, are there any work fields in particular that appeal to someone who has studied in both electrical and physics? The major reason that I want to do both is that I am more interested in engineering as far as my future career goes, but I also love physics, and I would appreciate being able to somehow integrate the two.

Electrical engineering is the only major which McGill allows to minor in physics, so that is the big reason why I chose it out of all the other engineering disciplines. I've also been told that the electrical engineering curriculum contains the most physics or physics like courses (Although it still misses out on a ton of them) compared to the other engineering disciplines.

I am a double major in EE and physics and I will finish in 5 years. It's roughly 131 credits for the EE degree, and an additional 30 or so credits for the physics degree. I want to get into solid state devices/electronics so the double major will be beneficial.

EE has a theoretical side, I think it deals with things like solid state and maybe quantum computing circuits?

I'm not sure but I think EE is the field that has the most use of physics, and math.

Also in your major you will have to take some elective courses which in Engineering can usually be fulfilled by Physics courses.

You might want to check out all fields of engineering, who knows you might really like Mech or Aerospace or Civil. And you can always take physics courses to meet those elective credits or just for fun.

1. What is the difference between physics and electrical engineering?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while electrical engineering is the application of physics principles to design and develop electrical systems and devices.

2. Can I major in both physics and electrical engineering as an undergraduate?

Most universities offer separate undergraduate degree programs for physics and electrical engineering, but some may offer a joint major or allow for a double major in both subjects.

3. What are the career options for someone with a degree in physics and electrical engineering?

Graduates with degrees in physics and electrical engineering have a wide range of career options, including working in industries such as telecommunications, renewable energy, electronics, and aerospace. They can also pursue research positions in academia or government labs.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math to study physics and electrical engineering?

Both physics and electrical engineering involve a significant amount of math, so having a strong foundation in mathematics is important. However, with dedication and hard work, individuals can improve their math skills and succeed in these fields.

5. What skills and qualities are important for success in physics and electrical engineering?

Some important skills and qualities for success in physics and electrical engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, curiosity, and a passion for learning and experimentation.